This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6200 Wireless won't connect

I am using a HP Probook 6550b laptop with Kubuntu 11.04. When I try to connect to my home network which uses WEP Security, the wireless hangs up saying "Waiting for Authorization" and will not connect. I am using the iwlagn driver. This machine dual boots with Windows 7 which has no problem connecting wirelessly. My ethernet works fine in Kubuntu.

I have followed various posts (eg. [url]http://pario.no/2011/04/10/enable-wireless-in-ubuntu-11-04-beta1-on-a-hp-8540p/) suggesting disabling the Wireless N feature without resolving the problem. I have also attempted to use NDisWrapper with the Windows driver without success.

Anyone's suggestions for where to proceed would be so much appreciated?

Re: Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6200 Wireless won't connect

I have been troubleshooting a similar problem on a new USB wifi stick -- the Belkin n300 Micro. Not fun ....

First test I would advise is to turn off the WEP encryption, and try associating it. If it won't associate with no encryption, then you're already in deep doo-doo ...

Also, regardless of this particular issue, you would be better advised to use WPA/WPA2 with PSK for your encryption, if your router supports it. WEP is too easily cracked.

Comment

Re: Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6200 Wireless won't connect

I will switch from Ubuntu to Kubuntu when I can get my WiFi card to connect automatically. I like the Kubuntu UI much better.

Comment

Re: [SOLVED] Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6200 Wireless won't connect

Dibl,

I disabled my Security and was able to connect wirelessly. Following your advice, I switched to WPA/WPA-2 with PSK and was also able to connect. That was simple! Thanks for your suggestions. Still wondering why WEP security causes a problem which may still be a problem if need to connect in Public. Any idea why this may occur with WEP?

Comment

Re: [SOLVED] Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6200 Wireless won't connect

Originally posted by kflora
          Any idea why this may occur with WEP?
          No idea -- perhaps some phenomenon with the driver code. But "all is well that ends well", right?

Comment

Working...
          X