This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mount actions for an audio CD

A while ago (pre-natty, maybe?), when I placed an audio CD in the CD drive, I had a choice of three actions: play with k3b, play with Amarok, or extract with k3b. Now I have just one: play with Amarok. I've looked at the Device Actions window in System Settings, and as far as I can tell the criteria for k3b and Amarok are identical:

Code:
    Devices must match the following parameters for this action:

The device property Available Content must match Audio.

Edit Parameters

Parameter type:    Property Match
    Device Type:       Optical Disc
    Value name:       Available Content
       Contains:       Audio
    Is this a bug or am I missing something?

Re: Mount actions for an audio CD

If you notice in Device Actions, there is no 'Play Audio CD with k3b', and I (personally) doubt there ever was. k3b isn't an audio player - it can create an audio disc, but it can't play them.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

It's kscd

My error - the choice is to play with kscd, not with k3b. But the problem still remains: the other two choices no longer show up. You can see the available choices in Systems Settings / Device Actions.

I'm wondering now -- is it just my system or do other people see the same thing?

Comment

It's not using Device Actions!!

I now have an explanation -- sort of. When I put a CD in the drive, the information in Device Actions is not being used! I verified that by changing the name of the Amarok action -- and the changed name did not show up.

I guess this is a bug.

Comment

I too would be interested to know what's happening here, as audio CDs will not play on Amarok, not that I use it. I use Audacious instead , which does play them but I would like it pop up as the default action when I put an audio CD in.
          Kubuntu 15.10

Comment

You can just edit the Device Actions entry for Amarok and change the Description to say Play Audio CD with Audacious and the Command to that of Audacious (edit the K Menu and look at the command that launches Adacious and use it in the Amarok Device Actions).

Comment

I have tried editing the Amarok entry to launch Audacious but it still launches Amarok, I have also created a new entry specifically for Audacious but it does not appear as an option when I insert a CD. I think that pwabrahams is correct in that the 'Device Actions' seem to be ignored and no matter what Amarok is launched and to make matters worse (for me anyway) it won't play audio CDs. >
              Kubuntu 15.10

Comment

In order to change an existing Device Actions entry, you must do so as root. In order to access Device Actions 'as root' you have to do it from the console with:
                Code:
                kdesudo kcmshell4 solid-actions

Comment

I went through System Settings > Device Actions and added an entry for Audacious with the same parameters as for Amarok, except for the command which I copied as you suggested from the Kmenu entry.

It didn't work at first but then I thought maybe a system restart is required and sure enough after restarting my pc and inserting an audio CD there now appears two options, play with Anarok and play with Audacious.

Although it doesn't play straight away in Audacious, I have to go into the 'Components' menu and 'Play CD' to play the audio CD.

But at least I have an option other than Amarok now
                  Kubuntu 15.10

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
                    In order to change an existing Device Actions entry, you must do so as root. In order to access Device Actions 'as root' you have to do it from the console with:
                    Code:
                    kdesudo kcmshell4 solid-actions
                    That sounds like a different bug. If changes made as non-root aren't effective, then Device Actions should tell you that you need root privileges.

At least other folks have verified that there's trouble here.

Comment

Doing it as root doesn't help

I tried using Device Actions as root. No better luck in getting the three options that I used to have. Has anyone actually succeeded in getting the three options?

I've posted a report of this behavior as Ubuntu Bug #804964. Others might want to add comments to that bug.

Comment

I've succeeded in adding another option other than Amarok and I'm going to try adding an option for K3b when I log in tonight, having done it once already and I'm not expecting any problems. Shall post back on here the results of my attempt.
                        Kubuntu 15.10

Comment

Rebooting doesn't help me

I've tried rebooting after making changes and it makes no difference. That's what I would expect, since after making changes via Device Actions, I get a message saying "Updating configuration".

Where exactly is the "Components" menu you mention?

Comment

The 'Components' menu was in Audacious, I needed to select it after Audacious launched to play an audio CD.

I have added an entry under 'System Setting' > 'Device Actions' for Audacious and K3b when an audio CD is inserted. When I select the icon (the circle with the USB icon) now and click on the audio CD, I get three options listed:

RIP Audio CD with K3b
                            Play Audio CD with Audacious
                            Play Audio CD with Amarok

Obviously what appears is dependant on the name you entered when editing the device actions.
                            Kubuntu 15.10

Comment

So you get three choices while I get only one. The particular choices are not the issue. For instance, I tried changing the text associated with Amarok in Device Actions to "Play an audio CD with Amarok". The text I saw when I loaded a CD did not change.

I still don't have an answer, but I think that (a) running the changes as root, and (b) rebooting are red herrings. Neither one helped me. I trust the "Updating system configuration" message, which I get when running as a non-root user. In fact, it seems that Device Actions are handled on a per-user basis, which is why the ones for root are just a little different.

At least on my system, I'm fairly certain now that the problem is not in what's recorded in Device Actions. It's in the mechanism that seems to be bypassing Device Actions altogether when I load a CD. That mechanism, instead, offers a single fixed choice: play CD with Amarok.

Comment

Working...
                              X