Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I had a bad day. Hard drive failure. Damn cats!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had a bad day. Hard drive failure. Damn cats!

Left my computer this morning to get a cup of coffee. While I was in the kitchen the cats jumped up my desk and started a fight. They actually knocked my tower off of the desk and it fell to the floor. Mind you, this is a very large heavy tower. At first, I though everything was OK, because the computer was still running, but when I tried to reboot, I was met with a hard drive failure. The hard drive that failed, of course was the one containing my grub install and my main Ubuntu install. Lots of important stuff on that drive, most of which is backed up, but it would be best if I could recover the whole installation.

It is my practice to always have at least two distros installed on my computer residing on different physical hard drives. It sure came in handy today.

So I went into the bios and selected the other drive as the boot drive, which also has grub on it from my Kubuntu install.

Booted to Kubuntu, and was luckily able to mount the failed drive. Copied the entire contents of the partition on the failed drive to a new drive I installed. Do you know how long it takes to copy that amount of data? Copied with the -rp options to preserve the file permissions.

I then ran update-grub and it found it OK.

However, on reboot when I tried to open the Ubuntu install on the new drive. It borked. Discovered that the grub line contained the UUID of the old drive for root. Was able to edit this and get it booted, then ran update-grub in Ubuntu and grub-install to put it back on sda where I want it. Everything is back to normal.

Re: I had a bad day. Hard drive failure. Damn cats!

Hi...

That was very much a blessing, glad it was squared away

Regards...
    Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ loves and cares about you most of all! http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/
    How do I know this personally? Please read here: https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...hn-8-12-36442/
    PLEASE LISTEN TO THIS PODCAST! You don't have to end up here: https://soulchoiceministries.org/pod...i-see-in-hell/

Comment

Wow -- those sound like some scary cats!

Well, I guess my day wasn't so bad, after all!

Comment

I was really lucky that i was able to mount that drive. This would have been a much sadder story if not for that.

Comment

Time to 'earthquake' proof your tower - prevent it from being tipped/knocked off of the desk, me thinks.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Yes, I'm working on that.

Comment

My tower sits about 4 inches above the floor, sandwiched firmly between two loaded file cabinets, on a pine step-stool my father in-law made for my kids 25 years ago.

(Plugging/unplugging anything in the back of it is a 15-minute project ....). :P

Comment

I use my computer every day to check and remove malware from hard drives I have removed and mounted in my computer. So easy access is important to me. I have it sitting on a plastic tote box overturned on the floor now, and wedged between my desk and a table. Not quite as easy to get to as it was when it was on my desk, but much more secure. My wife vetoed my original solution to the problem. I'll leave that one to you imagination.

Comment

None of our seven cats are allowed anywhere near the "work" desktop tower PC, but they like to sleep on top of the laptops when we return them to the storage shelf. We've got three laptops, two desktops, and a diskless thin client running on two separate home LANs along with about 10Tb of USB storage. Everything is set up to back up to something else -- a USB HDD or DVD-R.

For dead or dying HDDs, though, I keep a copy of the Ultimate Boot CD (iso at http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/) on my desk at al times for rescuing data, checking / stripping / reformatting disks, and reinstalling crashed systems.

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised when this is one of the cats:
                    http://www.telegraaf.nl/buitenland/v...l?pageNumber=1

Comment

I feel your pain, at least in regard to the cats. I have, no, the family has, five (5); yes, FIVE cats. Thankfully, they have never done that.

Glad you were able to recover. Lots of good information posted regarding the process...

Comment

Working...
                      X