This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Compiz and NVIDIA

Ok ....rather than repeat what I wrote over on the New Install forum ..... I'll post the link ...

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...;topicseen#new

My Compiz doesn't work, and apparently Emerald no longer works ...

Can some one help, this is an endless game with NVIDIA

t

Re: Compiz and NVIDIA

I was going to answer all the below stuff, but I just now realized that OpenSuSE is running afowl of a problem with NVidia and the newest Linux kernel. So your problem is probably not a Kubuntu problem - there's something deeper going on.

Patti

=====================================
    Huh. That's funny, I'd always had good luck with NVidia - it's AMD that was evil. In OpenSuSE, I would just download and run the driver compiler/installer - the trick is you have to log off KDE and log back in with a "Console Login" and run it from there (answer 'yes' to everything). I don't know if this works with Kubuntu, but it seems like it should. (Now that I remember, it seems the repo version(s) of the NVidia driver weren't very good.)

You should probably wait for a Kubuntu wizard to verify that this works in Kubuntu also, but here's how I did it in OpenSuSE:

1. download latest NVidia driver for your card (linux version)
    2. put it in /home/yourdir
    3. change its mode to "executable"
    4. log off and back on as a 'console logon'
    5. $> cd /home/yourdir
    6. $> ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-270.41.19.run (answer yes to everything)
    - it will claim it can't find a driver online, and ask if you want to compile a kernel driver
    - it will ask if you want to install the driver automatically
    7. reboot

Comment

Re: Compiz and NVIDIA

Someone posted here in KFN (today/yesterday?) that there is a known problem with the latest Nvidia driver and the 11.04 kernel.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
      X