X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Sound not working

Hello,

I just installed the new Kubuntu 11.04 and the sound is not working. I checked all the controls in kmix, alsamixer, pavucontrol and systemsettings but I haven't found any solution.

The sound card model is a Ensoniq AudioPCI eMicro EM28028 (or Ensoniq 5880B). It seems that the device is supported, the linux modules correctly loaded and it can play audios. In the Pulse Audio Panel it shows audio activity...

I link you the alsa-info script output.

Any ideas?

Re: Sound not working

Originally posted by pukyxd
    In the Pulse Audio Panel it shows audio activity...
    In the pavucontrol "Configuration" tab, what do you see? For "Internal Audio", try "Stereo Duplex" first. If there is a "Digital Audio", set it "Off".

Also, in SystemSettings > Multimedia > Phonon > Music, what do you see in the window on the right? If you highlight it, and click the "Test" button, do you hear any tones?

Comment

also check kmix to be sure the sound is not muted and the correct master channel is set (i've seen a few machines be muted after install..) the master channel is kinda hidden in the kmix menu (looking at your alsa log they seam to be correctly set)

btw dibl those buttons on the phonon setup dialog (for testing left and right speaker) they dont' work on any of my computers even though my sound works.
      Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
      (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

No, I didn't mean the Left - Right speaker test buttons, on the "Speaker Setup" tab. I just mean the main test button on the lower right of the "Device_Preference" tab. It is grayed out, until you highlight an "Output Device" in the window above it, then you can push to test. I find this one helpful to confirm that I've got a working device and driver, before twiddling alsamixergui and stuff like that.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
          No, I didn't mean the Left - Right speaker test buttons, on the "Speaker Setup" tab. I just mean the main test button on the lower right of the "Device_Preference" tab. It is grayed out, until you highlight an "Output Device" in the window above it, then you can push to test. I find this one helpful to confirm that I've got a working device and driver, before twiddling alsamixergui and stuff like that.
          yes that button does work. sorry for the confusion.
          Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
          (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Similar problem - installed 11.04 and now sound does not work.

In the system settings, multi-media, phonon sub-panel for audio output, it lists "Internal Audio Analog Stereo" only. When test putton pushed I get no output.

Under "Audio Capture" it correctly lists the Intel h/w, but I have not had a chance to test if the input works - need to get proper plugs, etc.

How do I get "Phonon" to find, recognise and use the intel h/w output?? Or is that a lost cause and must I switch to another s/w sound system?

The sound h/w was recognised under previous versions. Why do they persist in switching default major sub-systems like this when it doesn't work?

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
              Originally posted by pukyxd
              In the Pulse Audio Panel it shows audio activity...
              In the pavucontrol "Configuration" tab, what do you see? For "Internal Audio", try "Stereo Duplex" first. If there is a "Digital Audio", set it "Off".

Also, in SystemSettings > Multimedia > Phonon > Music, what do you see in the window on the right? If you highlight it, and click the "Test" button, do you hear any tones?
              I tried all you propose and it doesn't work. Here the screentshots of the configuration panels you said:

[img width=400 height=296]http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/1452/pavucontrol.png[/img]

[img width=400 height=346]http://img560.imageshack.us/img560/7923/systemsettings.png[/img]

Comment

I solved the problem. I'm a little stupid and didn't know that there were 2 audio cards at the pc.

Thanks for the help!

Comment

Re: [SOLVED] Sound not working

I hope here somebody could help me..
                  I got no sound on kubuntu 11.04. In windows sound works well and sound isn't muted. What to do?

Comment

Originally posted by blinder
                    I hope here somebody could help me..
                    I got no sound on kubuntu 11.04. In windows sound works well and sound isn't muted. What to do?
                    This thread was marked solved so you probably should start a new post. Add your system info if possible. I'm sorry I can't help you.
                    OS: Win7 Prof. X64, XP Prof. x86. WD 160GB X3 RAID 0<br />&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid X64 LTS. <br />&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; 10.10 Maverick X64 KDE 4.6.2<br />MB: abit IP35 PRO. Q6600 OC: 3204MHz. <br />RAM: OCZ 1066MHz 8GB (4X2GB) <br />Graphics: Nvidia 9800GTX+ OC: 823/1265<br />Displays: LG 1280X1024. Asus 1680X1050

Comment

I know this thread is solved, but my solution was different yet relevant. I had the exact same problem and this was a top Google search for this issue.

My solution was also in "System Settings - Phonon - Speaker Setup" as a previous post listed. I only have 1 sound card (unlike the OP), but my fix was to change the "Connector" drop down list from the default of "Analog output / amplifier" to "Analog output mono/ amplifier", (see image below). I guess my internal speaker is Mono only so this fixed it for me.

Hope this helps someone else out there reading this thread like I was with the same issue.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                      X