X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu 11.04 64 bit Flash not working

Hi all,
    I've freshly installed Kubuntu 11.04 64 bit (final) today. It's working okay, except...
    Flash isn't working in Firefox 4; I cannot watch YouTube, etc.
    This is strange, as I have the Flash non-free mozilla plugin installed from the package manager.
    When I get prompted to install the missing plugins in Firefox, it says "no suitable plugins have been found."
    Any thoughts?

Re: Kubuntu 11.04 64 bit Flash not working

I should also mention that this appears to be Kubuntu specific, as I have installed Ubuntu 11.04 64 bit on another machine and Flash/YouTube, etc. work okay.

Comment

Try using FlashAid. It will automatically replace the current version with the beta from Adobe labs, according to the architecture. A lot of people swear by it.

Comment

Well I tried FlashAid and none of the options for Flash worked. I uninstalled all Adobe-related Flash and then installed Gnash, and that seems to work for YouTube.
        Nonetheless, there is still an underlying issue. Why would Flash work no problem in Ubuntu 11.04 64 bit, but not in Kubuntu 11.04 64 bit?

Comment

I'm guessing it's got to do with the one or more driver-Xorg conflicts. Fullscreen Flash had been locking up my screen with radeon on 32 bit, and does the same with Chrome's flashplayer after migrating to fglrx.

Comment

Originally posted by el_koraco
            I'm guessing it's got to do with the one or more driver-Xorg conflicts. Fullscreen Flash had been locking up my screen with radeon on 32 bit, and does the same with Chrome's flashplayer after migrating to fglrx.
            Hopefully there will be a fix...

Comment

Originally posted by teejay17
              ...Why would Flash work no problem in Ubuntu 11.04 64 bit, but not in Kubuntu 11.04 64 bit?
              It wouldn't.

Flash has nothing to do with a desktop environment. All versions of *buntu use the same mechanism for installing packages (dpkg) but they use different frontends for same - be it Software Center, kpackagekit, muon, synaptic or something else.

I think your problem is officially Something Else. The DE wouldn't affect a Flash install at all.

Have you tried purging and reinstalling Flash?
              we see things not as they are, but as we are.
              -- anais nin

Comment

Originally posted by wizard10000
                ...Why would Flash work no problem in Ubuntu 11.04 64 bit, but not in Kubuntu 11.04 64 bit?
                It wouldn't.

Flash has nothing to do with a desktop environment. All versions of *buntu use the same mechanism for installing packages (dpkg) but they use different frontends for same - be it Software Center, kpackagekit, muon, synaptic or something else.

I think your problem is officially Something Else. The DE wouldn't affect a Flash install at all.

Have you tried purging and reinstalling Flash?
                Yes, I tried a whole bunch of times. When I install from the package manager doesn't work on YouTube, etc. I get prompted to install missing plugin. When I uninstall in the package manager and go to the adobe website, I get "wrong architecture" warnings, as it is for 386. When I uninstall that and install 64 bit "square" version, again Flash will not work. The only thing working for me right now is Gnash from the repos (and thank goodness for Gnash!!!)
                This is quite strange, as on my Ubuntu box (11.04 64 bit, on same machine) whatever I download from the repos works no problem.

Comment

Yes, I tried a whole bunch of times. When I install from the package manager doesn't work on YouTube, etc. I get prompted to install missing plugin. When I uninstall in the package manager and go to the adobe website, I get "wrong architecture" warnings, as it is for 386. When I uninstall that and install 64 bit "square" version, again Flash will not work. The only thing working for me right now is Gnash from the repos (and thank goodness for Gnash!!!)
                  This is quite strange, as on my Ubuntu box (11.04 64 bit, on same machine) whatever I download from the repos works no problem.
                  So even Adobe's Flash wouldn't work? I suspect a broken browser.
                  -- anais nin

Comment

I had a couple of other thoughts.

Flash is really simple to install manually - it's only one file; but here's what I'd do first.

sudo apt-get remove --purge gnash flashplugin-nonfree

sudo apt-get autoremove

sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree

sudo updatedb && sudo locate libflashplayer.so

My 64-bit installation shows libflashplayer.so in three locations -

/usr/lib/flashplugin-installer/libflashplayer.so
                    /usr/share/ubufox/plugins/libflashplayer.so (this is a symlink to the file above)
                    /var/cache/flashplugin-installer/libflashplayer.so (this one is contained in a .tar.gz archive)

So - if you have to, you can use the information above to install libflashplayer.so manually.

cheers -
                    -- anais nin

Comment

Originally posted by wizard10000
                      I had a couple of other thoughts.

Flash is really simple to install manually - it's only one file; but here's what I'd do first.

sudo apt-get remove --purge gnash flashplugin-nonfree

sudo apt-get autoremove

sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree

sudo updatedb && sudo locate libflashplayer.so

My 64-bit installation shows libflashplayer.so in three locations -

/usr/lib/flashplugin-installer/libflashplayer.so
                      /usr/share/ubufox/plugins/libflashplayer.so (this is a symlink to the file above)
                      /var/cache/flashplugin-installer/libflashplayer.so (this one is contained in a .tar.gz archive)

So - if you have to, you can use the information above to install libflashplayer.so manually.

cheers -
                      Can't be the browser; it's the same for Firefox, Rekonq, and Chromium

Comment

Try the remove and reinstall steps I listed above. The last line you can use to check that libflashplayer is actually installed in the correct location.

Good luck!
                        -- anais nin

Comment

I had the same problem with Kubuntu 10.10 in Google Chrome. I followed this link http://buildall.wordpress.com/2011/0...buntu-64-bits/ and worked very well. I don't know if it can help you but can give you a idea.

Comment

Thanks to the above two responses; I will try out both if Gnash gives me grief.

Comment

Working...
                            X