This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Skype and phonon

I decided to test 11.04 on my wife's 32 bit system and all was working very well except Skype. I could not get the webcam microphone to work. When I used System Settings > Multimedia > Phonon, and put the webcam microphone as the preferred Audio Capture device it would not stay after exit. The Skype audio test was silent on replay.

To get it working, I changed the bios setup to disable the onboard audio and rebooted. I then connected my USB speakers which I use with my laptop and checked System Settings. I then stated Skype and it worked on the audio test.

I do not consider this a satisfactory solution. So until this problem is fixed, I will not be upgrading my other systems to 11.04.

Re: Skype and phonon

Got the same kind of problem

Install pavucontrol (GTK/GNome based program so a lot of dependicies), start the program. goto tab "input devices" and try several "ports" and do the recording after applied a new option.

By me it is Analog Microphone / Microphone 1
    Free as meant in alcohol free.<br />Teetotalism rulez. - XXX

Comment

I finally was able to get my webcam mic working.

System Settings > Multimedia > Phonon > Device Preference > Audio Capture = Webcam

If you have an internel audio card AND a usb Webcam, you will notice all will be listed
      in the Preference section.

First I moved my webcam to the top through the Prefer button, then Apply. That didn't work.
      Once I closed System Settings then re-opened it again, it reverted back again to the old way.

Then I moved to the Speaker Setup of Phonon. Under Hardware, selected Internal Audio and under Profile I selected OFF. *

Then when I went back to the Audio Capture, the Internel Audio was greyed out. And my webcam was next in line.

Now testing with Skype , it worked!

The Audio Output section of Phonon still had the Internal Audio selected. I played some music through my speakers to be sure. They worked.

This is at best a hack job, and I have no idea if it will work in the future or even in the next install.

Ubuntu Unity is very easy to get Audio Capture to work:
      Sound Preferences > Input > Choose device. then select USB Webcam. Your done.

*[At this point I noticed some message regarding dummy output, and latter when playing music for the first time using Amarok
      It too flashed a message regarding the dummy output. Subsequent use of Amarok didn't reflect any message.]

Boot Info Script

Comment

There seem to be a lot of people with the same problem. Did anyone file a bug?

Comment

I tried the following:
          Originally posted by verndog
          First I moved my webcam to the top through the Prefer button, then Apply. That didn't work.
          Once I closed System Settings then re-opened it again, it reverted back again to the old way.

Then I moved to the Speaker Setup of Phonon. Under Hardware, selected Internal Audio and under Profile I selected OFF. *

Then when I went back to the Audio Capture, the Internel Audio was greyed out. And my webcam was next in line.

Now testing with Skype , it worked!

The Audio Output section of Phonon still had the Internal Audio selected. I played some music through my speakers to be sure. They worked.

This is at best a hack job, and I have no idea if it will work in the future or even in the next install.
          For me the Audio Output section of Phonon had it going to "Dummy Output" so the system was totally silent. This is the same result that I got when I disabled the onboard audio in the BIOS. Your way is certainly the best approach to achieve this. The only problem is that I then have to have my speakers connected to the USB port.

I also tried:
          Originally posted by 7penselen
          Got the same kind of problem

Install pavucontrol (GTK/GNome based program so a lot of dependicies), start the program. goto tab "input devices" and try several "ports" and do the recording after applied a new option.

By me it is Analog Microphone / Microphone 1
          I went through every valid option with no success as I think that the Multimedia part of System Settings was still in control of what was happening.

For all the tests I restarted Skype just in case it got its settings when it was started.

Because I keep a separate home partition, I was wondering if the .kde directory was at fault. So I renamed it and the problem still existed.

Originally posted by el_koraco
          There seem to be a lot of people with the same problem. Did anyone file a bug?
          I do not know if anyone has filed a bug report but I have been wondering where the problem lies. On my kubuntu 10.10 with KDE 4.6.2 I do not have this problem. So is the problem with KDE or is it with the porting of KDE 4.6.2 to Kubuntu? I just hope that those who do this work are aware of this problem and know who is best to deal with it.

Comment

I believe it is a problem with pulseaudio in Natty. I suggest someone with the problems file a bug against pulseaudio. See what the devs say.

Comment

Working...
            X