This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Think 11.04 should be postponed

I really think Kubuntu 11.04 should be postponed. I installed the second beta on my 3 year old HP Pavillon laptop a few days ago and found crashes all over the place. This kind of hardware should be pretty much middle of the road. I am currently using Kubuntu 10.10 which is very stable.

Perhaps my issues with 11.04 beta 2 are an isolated case, but if not please consider holding back on the release rather then making a release that needs a lot of patches right away.

Re: Think 11.04 should be postponed

Sorry to hear of your experience but judging by other posts here you seem to be an unfortunate exception, quite strange because my experience with Linux on HP isvery good.
    I run an almost three year old Toshiba Tecra S5 and except for a little issue with Bluetooth all seems to be remarkably well.

Comment

Originally posted by dboosalis
      I really think Kubuntu 11.04 should be postponed. I installed the second beta on my 3 year old HP Pavillon laptop a few days ago and found crashes all over the place.
      I'm not finding that here and many others on the main Ubuntu forums are saying the same. Compared to Ubuntu 11.04, Kubuntu rarely crashes here, just a couple of well known bugs relating to Policy Kit and kwin that might cause a crash when logging out or changing desktop settings. Hopefully these will be fixed in the next KDE release. In fact on several days I've spent the whole day logged into Kubuntu and not had a single crash.

As for postponing the Kubuntu release, that's not something that's going to happen. They announce a release schedule and they stick to it. I've even found the proposed release dates somewhere for 12.04 and they haven't started work on 11.10 yet!

Comment

Crashes? Not had a single one. Well, yeah, Plasma did crash for two seconds when it was being updated, and I was too lazy to do the update through the console and stop KDE, but that's it.

Comment

While I haven't had any crashes, I have had some freezing up of my desktop, and some issues with graphics distortion (not sure if that's the best way of describing my problem), not entirely sure if it's a Nvidia beta issue or a KDE/Kubuntu 11.04 beta issue or something else.

All I know is that I haven't ever had any problem with graphics before, and I haven't ever had to do so many an alt-print screen-k to kill my sessions.

Comment

I had/have the opposite experience. 11.04 Beta 2 has been very stable and I've been using it as a full-time OS. 10.10 however, always broke and crashed on me, and ran horribly. This computer is 4 years old btw. I guess it all depends on hardware.

Comment

It is true that 11.04 has some annoying bugs, but I luckily have fixed them all on one or another way. I have no stability issues with Kubuntu 11.04.

1) The most annoying is the white trash on screen during boot with NVidia and Grub2 (which also disables the virtual consoles and recovery access). - When booting remover the rule with ......gfx -> boot start kubuntu. install immediality KDE-config-grub2. Start it up in systemsettings-> startup and shutdown ->Grub bootloader -> Appearance -> Linuxkernel -> Boot in text mode
              2) No good soundcapture selection (for Skype). Solved with Pavucontrol (need to be installed) -> Input -> change ports.
              3) Intel graphics problem on my eeepc. Use XRender compositing.

Things to test. Wireless on my Eeepc1000H. This didn't work well on 10.04 and was finally the reason not to use 10.04 on my netbook, while it works again on 10.10.

And have a 6 yrs old Atlhon 64 3400+ and a 2,5 yrs old eeepc1000H, both running Kubuntu 11.04.

But it is still a RC uuh Beta2 and not a official release, so expect some problems
              Free as meant in alcohol free.<br />Teetotalism rulez. - XXX

Comment

Working...
              X