Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

not sure what the hell happened this morning, but...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

not sure what the hell happened this morning, but...

...I must have caught the repos at exactly the wrong time. Ran update/upgrade, not paying any attention at all and apt removed almost 300mb of KDE

Fortunately I've got a cron job that dumps a log of installed programs nightly, so I dropped to a root prompt with networking, ran dselect-upgrade --force-yes and everything came back live.

Yeah, I should have been paying attention, but I'm sure glad I've got that nightly cron job. Took about ten minutes to fix but I must have caught the repos at exactly the wrong millisecond this morning
    we see things not as they are, but as we are.
    -- anais nin

Re: not sure what the hell happened this morning, but...

Bad luck for you! I ran updates this morning and never saw a blip -- then I saw you little adrenaline moment here.

Comment

Good gracious!

Isn't there a package for apt which keeps a log of what is installed/uninstalled? When I had aptosid on my box I remember installing it.

BTW, do you have /var/log/apt/history.log and if so, does that say anything interesting?
      Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Originally posted by toad
        Good gracious!

Isn't there a package for apt which keeps a log of what is installed/uninstalled? When I had aptosid on my box I remember installing it.

BTW, do you have /var/log/apt/history.log and if so, does that say anything interesting?
        That's what's weird. There's nothing in apt's log but there's a whole pile of software removed in dpkg's log - it's too big to post
        -- anais nin

Comment

dpkg has the ability to list all installed packages.

Code:
          sudo dpkg --get-selections
          So, you can make a text file of your package list any time:

Code:
          sudo dpkg --get-selections > installed_packages.txt

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
            Code:
            sudo dpkg --get-selections > installed_packages.txt
            Yup. And then restore those selections like this -

sudo dpkg --set-selections < installed_packages.txt

and install and uninstall the packages you had like this -

sudo apt-get dselect-upgrade

That's how I fixed the machine this morning
            -- anais nin

Comment

Thanks dibl. But I wasn't after that.

I was talking about a standard log that automatically logs everything apt does - seems like a grand idea to have if you ask me and would have saved wiz' bacon had he not taken such care over his system administration...
              Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

There is a log of all package installations, removals, and updates, for the current booted session, at /var/log/dpkg.log. You can read it with the script here: http://linuxcommando.blogspot.com/20...g-history.html

I tried it -- it works. However, you might be thinking of something that records dpkg transactions "since the beginning of time" for a Linux system. I haven't heard of that one (nor would I wish to review such a saga!).

Comment

okey dokey

Comment

Thanks dibl. But I wasn't after that.

I was talking about a standard log that automatically logs everything apt does - seems like a grand idea to have if you ask me and would have saved wiz' bacon had he not taken such care over his system administration...
                    There is also /var/log/apt/history.log (apt history) and /var/log/apt/term.log (for terminal output from apt runs)

EDIT: darn, should have read the whole thread again

Comment

Originally posted by wizard10000
                      ...BTW, do you have /var/log/apt/history.log and if so, does that say anything interesting?
                      That's what's weird. There's nothing in apt's log but there's a whole pile of software removed in dpkg's log - it's too big to post

Comment

...BTW, do you have /var/log/apt/history.log and if so, does that say anything interesting?
                        Originally posted by kubicle
                        EDIT: darn, should have read the whole thread again
                        @wizard, did you check rotated apt logs (in case logrotate had already done it's thing)

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle
                          @wizard, did you check rotated apt logs (in case logrotate had already done it's thing)
                          I did - the whole fubar is missing from apt's log but is in dpkg's log. I cleaned up the logs and attached them - rename to .tar.gz

history.log shows what apt was supposed to do and dpkg.log shows what it actually did.

When I ran apt-get upgrade this morning there were a whole pile of changes, so
                          I ran dist-upgrade instead, which may have been my undoing
                          Attached Files
                          -- anais nin

Comment

When I ran apt-get upgrade this morning there were a whole pile of changes, so
                            I ran dist-upgrade instead, which may have been my undoing
                            I NEVER use apt-get upgrade. I ALWAYS use apt-get dist-upgrade. Why?
                            Packages currently installed with new
                            versions available are retrieved and upgraded; under no
                            circumstances are currently installed packages removed, or packages
                            not already installed retrieved and installed.
                            New versions of
                            currently installed packages that cannot be upgraded without
                            changing the install status of another package will be left at
                            their current version.
                            dist-upgrade in addition to performing the function of upgrade,
                            also intelligently handles changing dependencies with new versions
                            of packages; apt-get has a "smart" conflict resolution system, and
                            it will attempt to upgrade the most important packages at the
                            expense of less important ones if necessary.
                            So, dist-upgrade
                            command may remove some packages.
                            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Same thing happened to me, except I actually lost everything and had to reinstall.

I am now on a clean system and when I try to update, I get asked if I want to remove the following:

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
                              [sudo] password for glitterball:
                              Reading package lists... Done
                              Building dependency tree
                              Reading state information... Done
                              Calculating upgrade... Done
                              The following packages will be REMOVED:
                              akregator amarok apport-kde apturl-kde ark bluedevil dolphin dragonplayer
                              gdebi-kde gwenview jockey-kde k3b kaddressbook kate kcalc
                              kde-config-touchpad kde-window-manager kdebase-bin kdebase-runtime
                              kdebase-workspace kdebase-workspace-bin kdelibs5-plugins
                              kdemultimedia-kio-plugins kdepasswd kdepim-groupware kdepim-kresources
                              kdepim-runtime kdepim-strigi-plugins kdepim-wizards kdesudo kdm kdoctools
                              kfind khelpcenter4 kinfocenter klipper kmag kmail kmix kmousetool
                              knm-runtime knotes konsole kontact kopete kopete-message-indicator
                              korganizer kpackagekit kpat kppp ksnapshot ksysguard ksystemlog ktorrent
                              kubuntu-debug-installer kubuntu-desktop kubuntu-docs
                              kubuntu-firefox-installer kubuntu-konqueror-shortcuts
                              kubuntu-notification-helper kvkbd kwalletmanager language-selector-kde
                              libkdepim4 libkopete4 libmessagelist4 libreoffice-kde nepomukcontroller
                              network-manager-pptp-kde okular partitionmanager
                              plasma-dataengines-workspace plasma-desktop plasma-netbook
                              plasma-scriptengine-python plasma-widget-facebook plasma-widget-kimpanel
                              plasma-widget-networkmanagement plasma-widgets-addons
                              plasma-widgets-workspace polkit-kde-1 printer-applet python-kde4 qapt-batch
                              quassel rekonq software-properties-kde system-config-printer-kde
                              systemsettings update-manager-kde usb-creator-kde userconfig

Something wrong I think.

Comment

Working...
                              X