This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

newbie at trying alpha release - cannot get live install <SOLVED>

My first time trying to load a a pre-release version. (I'm wanting to use it to check out a problem I'm suddenly having with my wireless connections on KB 10.10)

I loaded "natty-dvd-i386.iso", obtained via torrent download, to a 4 gig flash drive (FD). (BTW, why is this alpha install so HUGE 3.6 GB? Why?). I used Unetbootin to do this, and it appeared to go perfectly.

When I boot my netbook from the FD, I get a Unetbootin menu, offering 12 options. None of them I've yet tried (Default / Command-line install / Command-line expert install) appear to lead to a "live" install. The whole process is long and slow, and always ends with its wanting to partition my HD to do an installation. That should NOT be happening.

At http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/dvd/current/ I read that I should be able to get a live install by entering "by entering 'live' at the boot prompt". WHAT boot prompt? I don't seem to have the change to enter "live" anywhere. I don't understand how to do this (obviously).

I need a tip about how to get this thing to do a live install. Any help would be much appreciated!

Re: newbie at trying alpha release - cannot get live install

I should be able to get a live install by entering "by entering 'live' at the boot prompt"
    You could try Alt+Ctrl+F1 to stop the Gui and Alt+Ctrl+F7 to restart the Gui.
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
    "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

GUI? What GUI? It's all text, or text-simulated GUI, but no true GUI. I'll try it anyway. There's just been no point where I could actually enter "live", so I have been able to get that far...and after a couple more tries, it's a no go. C+A+F1 does nothing to the process, at any point.

Ah...and it get worse. What's with this thing? This is like falling out of plane into Uzbekestan and trying to find a friend...

Twice now, the install (but I don't WANT and install dammit, I want a live disk launch) gets to the point where it locates an "Ubuntu mirror", then reports to me that "No kernal modules were found. This is probably due to a mismatch between the kernal used by this version of the installer and the kernal version available in the archive..." Really?

UPDATE: Having the option to ignore the kernal problem, I took it...and now I'm being asked to make decision about disk partitioning...a really, really wrong place to be. Sigh.

This is turning out to be a large time waster. How can we report bugs if it cannot even start itself? I'm completely stalled out at this point. Any help would be, uh, most helpful!

Comment

It would appear you got a DVD ISO image -- I have no idea how or why, or whether it works. If you want to try the current Natty, get a daily build Live CD from here: http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/daily-live/current/

Burn a CD, and boot it. That's all.

Comment

Ah...I'm glad this all looks clear to you! Can you explain what the DVD ISO is? I THOUGHT I had a live disk ISO, and did not understand the DVD part. Always learning...as they say.

So...hoping for clarification, and off to get that CD image. Thanks much for this tip.

Comment

Available via bit torrent, Kubuntu does offer a DVD: http://www.kubuntu.org/getkubuntu/download

It says here that the main advantage of a DVD is for language packs: http://www.kubuntu.org/getkubuntu/download#desktop-dvd

But, a DVD doesn't make a lot of sense for a pre-release version, IMHO, given that it is under active development, your DVD image will be obsolete tomorrow. So, get the CD image, then if you want to install you can do so, and update it tomorrow.

Comment

also, use usb-creator, which is installed by default in Kubuntu. Unetbootin works well for a majority of distros, but usb -creator seems to be more reliable for making *buntu flash drives, especially pre-releases. it also provides the option to create a persistence file, which allows you to save settings in your live session, which is handy for a rescue or emergency OS.

I agree with dibl, use the daily-live image, though do note that sometimes one day's iso image can be broken, or unbootable so using the last official alpha release as a starting point is not a bad idea either. Or wait a day

the download page for each section has descriptions of what each type of iso is for.
              The DVD in Natty now is a combined live-disk and the alternate installer, plus some language packs and a few other things. It also mentions that to get to a live session, you need to type in 'live' at the boot prompt, probably just after booting 'default' from your unetbootin menu. You might try that since you already have the image on your flash drive.

Things should look exactly like the live cd you are used to, the only real change there from Maverick is the background image. What you were getting is the text-based installer

Comment

thanks all. I did try it one more time, but darned if I can find any point where I can enter "live" where it actually does any. exasperating....

off to get the CD, and I do hope it makes more sense.

thanks for the time re: usb-creator...

Comment

The fun just won't stop.

With the proper CD image now burned to a flash drive, using ucb-creator-kde, I now get a whole bunch of error messages about mount failures or some such (Greek to me), then it all halts at a command line identifying itself as a "BusyBox Ubuntu built-in shell (ash)" Huh? The command prompt reads: "(initramfs)". There is a suggestion that entering "help" will list available commands, which it does. But...what am I supposed to do with this? I don't see anything that exactly grips me in the command list...

I used the Alpha-3 ISO available at http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/re...natty/alpha-3/, 'cause it had a torrent link, and the daily build didn't, and I've already way overspent my time budget on this thing.

As a last gasp, I'm burning this same ISO to a CD to see if that runs any better...

...and it did. I've got a live disk install running now.

Sure glad I sacrificed that virgin...and for the various help offered. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                  X