This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lost my other partition

i have one hard drive dual partitioned for dual boot, first one is 150G with the latest stable kubuntu, currently Maverick. The other (this one) is 75 G for dev versions, been like that for about 3 years now. The update i did yesterday i lost my other (maverick) partition. sudo update-grub doesn't get it back. Grub is currently controlled by the natty grub and that's fine because i know maverick's grub works. How do i get grub to recognize the mav partition again?

Re: lost my other partition

if i understand correctly what your asking, you will want to check your /etc/fstab file and make sure the partition is located in that file else it would auto mount.
    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

So, since the update of Natty, grub no longer recognizes the Maverick partition?

Furthermore, can you still "see" the Maverick partition from within Natty?
      Home: Kubuntu 12.04-amd64; Intel i7-860 on Intel DH55PJ; Nvidia 9500GT; 6GB RAM
      Network Slave: Xubuntu 11.10-x86; Intel P4-Prescott on MSI; 2GB RAM; Nvidia FX5200
      Portable: Xubuntu 11.10-amd64; Asus EeePC 1015PEM

Comment

sudo fdisk --list
        should tell you if the partition is still there.

If it is, then you may need to manually point grub at it to get it to boot, and then reinstall maverick's grub in the MBR.

To do this, look at the output from the command above. If maverick is on /dev/sda1, then what you would do to boot it is this:

Reboot the computer, when the grub menu comes up, hit c

The enter the following commands:
        insmod ext2
        set root='(hd0,1)'
        linux /vmlinuz root=/dev/sda1 ro
        initrd /initrd.img
        boot

This will be a bare-bones boot, no splash, fancy fonts, etc. But it should get you to maverick's login screen.

Then from maverick (assuming maverick is /dev/sda1) do a
        sudo grub-install '(hd0,1)'
        sudo update-grub

That should get you booting from maverick. Not sure why natty's os-prober is not finding maverick -- do you have it on something other than an ext file system?

We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Working...
        X