This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No more HAL

As of version 4.6, KDE SC does not depend on hal anymore (you can still use hal if you wish, though).

I dropped (uninstalled) hal in favor of upower and udisks, and the switch was rather smooth. There were/are a couple of issues with the battery monitor widget: no suspend/hibernate buttons (solvable) and display brightness slider not functioning (not solved yet), but for the most part everything is working as expected.

Re: No more HAL

Thanks for that piece of news! I was wondering when HAL was ditched seeing that the rest of *nix world dumped hal in favour of udev... At last - another daemon I can get rid of
    Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle
      . There were/are a couple of issues with the battery monitor widget: no suspend/hibernate buttons (solvable) and display brightness slider not functioning ...
      I put a fresh install of Maverick, with full KDE4 upgrades, on my wife's Acer Aspire 3000, complete with the Spiderman wall paper and all the "ubuntu-edu-primary" apps, before I give it to my 5 year old grandson. I noticed that the battery icon stays at 0%, except for one time when it was at 6% and climbed to 7%. I decided to turn off the PC and let it recharge. When I turned it back on it was at 0% and I haven't been able to get it to show more. IF I disable the alerts it runs on the battery OK. Also, the screen brightness slider doesn't work, as you said. I never use the suspend/hibernate.

But, I have no doubt that subsequent updates will resolve these issues. I have my grandson's PC set to update in the background.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

As of version 4.6, KDE SC does not depend on hal anymore (you can still use hal if you wish, though).

I dropped (uninstalled) hal in favor of upower and udisks, and the switch was rather smooth. There were/are a couple of issues with the battery monitor widget: no suspend/hibernate buttons (solvable) and display brightness slider not functioning (not solved yet), but for the most part everything is working as expected.
        How did you do it? Was there anything other than uninstalling the hal and associated libraries? When I marked libhal1 for removal in synaptic, synaptic wanted to mark several applications for removal: digikam, tellico, bluefish, gimp, sane utils, and several more.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Kowalski

How did you do it? Was there anything other than uninstalling the hal and associated libraries? When I marked libhal1 for removal in synaptic, synaptic wanted to mark several applications for removal: digikam, tellico, bluefish, gimp, sane utils, and several more.
          If you have packages installed that still depend on libhal1, leave it installed...uninstalling the 'hal' package (that includes the hald daemon) should be enough. You can probably uninstall libhal-storage1, as well.

And check whether upower and udisks are installed (if you need the functionality).

Comment

Thanks for the info about hal.

Comment

Installed a Natty daily (17-Dec) and its pretty good, but I keep getting a warning about no power management backend on login. upower and udisk are installed.

Comment

Hi,

does any one have a clue how to resolve the issue of no power management plugin?
                Distributor ID: Ubuntu
                Description: Ubuntu Trusty Tahr (development branch)
                Release: 14.04
                Codename: trusty

Comment

Originally posted by blackpaw
                  Installed a Natty daily (17-Dec) and its pretty good, but I keep getting a warning about no power management backend on login. upower and udisk are installed.
                  I've been getting that lately, too.

I'm sure it will be sorted out eventually. Hopefully with the 4.6 RC1 due this week.

The upower backend files (/usr/lib/kde4/powerdevilupowerbackend.so, /usr/share/kde4/services/powerdevilupowerbackend.desktop) used to be in kdebase-workspace-bin package in beta 1, but for some reason are not there anymore in beta 2.

Comment

Hi,

Let's wait for the RC

Thanks for the info.
                    Distributor ID: Ubuntu
                    Description: Ubuntu Trusty Tahr (development branch)
                    Release: 14.04
                    Codename: trusty

Comment

Originally posted by hteles
                      Let's wait for the RC
                      Powerdevil seems to be behaving again in RC1, at least on my end. Even display brightness slider works again.

Comment

Working...
                      X