This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please turn off oxygen animations by default

I think oxygen animations should be turned off by default. In KDE 4.5 I couldn't get smooth effects untill I disabled oxygen animations.
    Now I just tried Natty live (KDE 4.6 beta1) and with default radeon driver effects worked but not very smooth. Then I turned off oxygen bloats and WOW. Desktop effects are very smooth even with blur turned on. I am experiencing this oxygen animations slowdowns with both radeon and fglrx driver.

If other graphic cards/drivers are effected as badly as my card with this animations I think these animations should be turned off by default.
    Plasma 5 look&feel for KDE4: http://kde-look.org/content/show.php...content=166438

Re: Please turn off oxygen animations by default

In KDE 4.5 I couldn't get smooth effects untill I disabled oxygen animations.
    Pray tell, how did you do that?
    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
    4 GB Ram
    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Originally posted by Fintan
      In KDE 4.5 I couldn't get smooth effects untill I disabled oxygen animations.
      Pray tell, how did you do that?
      Type oxygen-settings in krunner and then uncheck "enable animations" in widget style and in window decorations.
      Plasma 5 look&feel for KDE4: http://kde-look.org/content/show.php...content=166438

Comment

Even in 10.10. I don't think I've ever run across that configuration area. Wonder why it isn't obvious under System Settings? If it is I never really paid it any attention.

Comment

Thank you for the info
          HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
          4 GB Ram
          Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Interesting, though not sure it makes a difference on my system.

Comment

It makes a huge difference. These animations completely destroy the ability to use these systems remotely across even a local gigabit network, let alone the Internet. This capability is essential in this age of remote computing, and VM on-the-fly creation on remote desktops. Without shutting off these animations, KDE/Kubuntu is pretty much useless (which is ashame because it is so well designed).

I haven't figured out how yet. Krfb (desktop sharing) and tightvnc just fall flat. Nothing I do fixes the problem and no info on any forum has helped resolve it, including the ideas posted above.

On on the verge of giving up on Kubuntu in a VM environment.

Anyone have any thoughts?

I have an application that can use the level of UI customization that KDE provides, and which also depends on it running on a VM. If this problem isn't resolved I am going for another solution and probably dropping Kubuntu/KDE4. I really don't want to do that. I have finally seen the light on what a great design KDE4 is. (Just when the light bulb goes off, I might have to drop using it.)

Comment

Originally posted by MoonRise
                Even in 10.10. I don't think I've ever run across that configuration area. Wonder why it isn't obvious under System Settings? If it is I never really paid it any attention.
                System Settings -- Workspace Appearance, then in the Window Decoration area, you eill see "configure decoration" button that will bing up various options for the active deco.

As this can be disabled, and seems to work fine for most users, I see no reason to have the KDE default of having it on be changed, imo. As Kubuntu usually stick to those settings as their own defaults, I don't see this changing for Kubuntu unless there are widespread problems across multiple hardware setups.

I have no issues with animations in Oxygen on my variety of systems, including two 8 year old daily-use P4 laptops using the open drivers on their meager Radeon Mobility gpus. I tried disabling the animations on these and could see no noticeable jump in performance on these machines.

I also routinely access my media center box remotely using x11vnc over the 'net, and krfb/krdc over the lan and have no problems at all in terms of usability. that box runs fglrx drivers.

Comment

Hey Claydoh, thank you for the reply. It is much appreciated. Your confident reply is encouraging. I will try one more time to get krb/krd running per your suggestions and post my results.

I have been skeptical of KDE4 until just recently when I finally grokked its potential. I really want to explore KDE4 and have started thinking of a million ways I can configure it, but I need VMs across a net to work, otherwise its just not worth the trouble. I don't want to take away those lovely UI enhancements that will lead to KDE's adoption in the long run, but LAN traffic bottled-necked by thousands of window border refreshes when moving a window briefly to the side is simply absurd. And having these operations bring my processor to a halt is also untenable.

What is the default is not the issue here. Any state can be the default. What really matters is that both states exist and one can easily switch between them. Here is my humble current view:

1) Fancy UI features should be kept modularity independent from their backend engines per tried-and-true software design principles (think software design patterns here). Translate for KDE: access to great features, like those of the activity/widget paradigm, should be independent of UI functionality such as of compositing and window decorations.

2) Easily accessible simplified window decorations and behavior should *always* be available and functional.

Perhaps this is mostly already the case (as your reply may be implying.), and currently, turning all these things off is just a matter of clicking all the proper configuration options with maybe some config file changes to boot; Perhaps I haven't yet figured them all out. If this is the case, then maybe here is what is needed:

A KDE core widget that tracks and consolidates all the processor/network intensive UI configuration features, and with one checkbox turns them off or on (restored to previous user config settings). Even if it required a restart of X this would be OK.

(I see problems with this too, but its a thought...)

How about that for thinking it KDE!

Comment

Need a Remote Desktop procedure

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                    I also routinely access my media center box remotely using x11vnc over the 'net, and krfb/krdc over the lan and have no problems at all in terms of usability. that box runs fglrx drivers.
                    Claydoh; I've been searching this forum for months trying to figure out how to take control of my parents laptop and help them maintain it and teach them (by example) how to use it. They are now switching their OS to Kubuntu so this should be easier.

I've also read the KRDC and KRFB handbooks with not success. I think it would benefit many users to have a step-by-step procedure for these utility apps.

I'd also be willing to configure a remote x11vnc link as well. Please advise.

mhumm2
                    "If you're in a room with another person who sees the world exactly as you do, one of you is redundant." Dr. Steven Covey, The 7-Habits of Highly Effective People

Comment

Working...
                    X