This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flash no longer working in Chrome

Latest Chrome update (16.0.912.63) has killed flash on my system. If I go to Adobe and try and download from there, I get:

Unknown channel 'maverick-partner'

...and it fails.

/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins

...only has:

skypebuttons.so

...in it. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Re: Fash no longer working in Chrome

From http://support.google.com/chrome/bin...&answer=108086

"Adobe Flash is directly integrated with Google Chrome and enabled by default. Any available updates for Adobe Flash are automatically included in Google Chrome system updates."

Have a look at that page to see if you have a separate Flash install that might be conflicting with the built-in version - you can tell Chrome to disable that and only use its own built-in version. (Second bullet point under item 7)
    sigpic
    "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
    -- Douglas Adams

Comment

Re: Flash no longer working in Chrome

Thanks for the info. It looks like I only have one installed (version: 10.3 d162). Oddly it says next to it:

Download Critical Security Update

...which takes me back to the Adobe site (with the same error if I try to install).

Comment

Just checked:

~/.mozilla/plugins

...and libflashplayer.so is present which is the one it's picking up. I'll try an uninstall/reinstall.

Comment

Re: Fash no longer working in Chrome

Originally posted by HalationEffect
          From http://support.google.com/chrome/bin...&answer=108086

"Adobe Flash is directly integrated with Google Chrome and enabled by default. Any available updates for Adobe Flash are automatically included in Google Chrome system updates."
          I didn't know this. Given that I have absolutely no use for Flash other than viewing stuff in a browser, this might actually be a reason for me to switch to Chrome (I dearly hope Rekonq stabilizes soon). I hate having to litter my hard drive with half a dozen symlinks to "flashplugin." But I'd have to use Chrome, not Chromium. Once upon a time that meant shedding a bit more privacy with their silly RLZ identifier, but apparently even that isn't happening with Chrome anymore, if I'm correctly reading the second paragraph quoted from the Wikipedia article:

Some of the tracking mechanisms can be optionally enabled and disabled through the installation interface and through the browser's options dialog. Unofficial builds, such as SRWare Iron and ChromePlus, seek to remove these features from the browser altogether. The RLZ feature is not included in the Chromium browser either.

In March 2010, Google devised a new method to collect installation statistics: the unique ID token included with Chrome is now only used for the first connection that Google Update makes to its server. This sole remaining non-optional user tracking mechanism is removed following the server ping.

Comment

Hmm, in light of Chrome's improved stance on privacy, I'm now wondering if it's worth keeping both Chrome and SRWare Iron installed on my system.
            sigpic
            "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
            -- Douglas Adams

Comment

Uninstalled Chrome and reinstalled it, same thing. Upgraded to 11.04/Natty and same thing again. Weird.

Comment

Flash 11.1.102.55 is in the Partner repository for Maverick. So I'd recommend a good clean-up and reinstall. And it might be better to go with Chromium from a PPA instead of installing Chrome from Google's site.

1. Purge everything related to Chrome and Flash.
                2. Search your home directory for anything related to Chrome, Adobe, Macromedia and delete.
                3. Ensure you have the Partner repository enabled in Software Sources.
                4. Install adobe-flashplugin and adobe-flash-properties-kde from the Maverick Partner repository.
                5. View the list of Chromium project PPA channels and install your preferred version.

I can confirm this sequence of steps works fine for getting Flash to function properly in Chromium. I just did it last night.

Comment

Cool, I installed Chromium and that works out of the box. It's an older version though: 15.0.874.106.

Cheers all.

Comment

Did a clean install to upgrade to 11.04 and I now have Chromium 14.0.835.202. An even older version!

Comment

Originally posted by type3
                      Did a clean install to upgrade to 11.04 and I now have Chromium 14.0.835.202. An even older version!
                      According the Ubuntu package list for chromium-browser, 14.0.835.202 is the correct version for Natty. You'll need to use one of the PPAs if you want a more recent version.

Comment

Will it ever become 'common knowledge' that package versions are tied to the Linux version they were written for? That just because one finds a "newer" version, it may not be for the version of Linux they are running? :P
                        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Interesting question. The chromium-browser PPAs all have builds for Natty. But unless someone knows to go seek those, they'll be stuck on version 14 with Natty, since it appears the package managers have decided not to update the version in Natty-updates or provide one in Natty-backports.

Comment

That isn't uncommon. That is why PPAs pop up. The *buntu development teams have a direction they must travel in, and others, not constrained by the restrictions these developers must follow, are free to 'develop outside of the "path"'. Ain't the wonderful, wacky world of Linux just so much fun?
                            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

While...

Originally posted by Snowhog
                              PPAs pop up... That isn't uncommon
                              ...it's less certain that their existence...

Will it ever become 'common knowledge'

Ain't the wonderful, wacky world of Linux just so much fun?
                              Absolutely!

Comment

Working...
                              X