X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update KDE

Hi,

I tried installing the newer versions of Kubuntu ( 11.04 and 11.10 ) on my laptop, but neither of them worked really well (the 11.10 version was fine, but the nvidia driver didn't work no matter what I tried)

So I'm stuck with the 10.10 version. Everything works really well, the only thing I miss is some of the things the newer versions of KDE and its applications provide.

So I was wondering if there is any way I can stay on Kubuntu 10.10 but update my KDE version (to 4.7 for example)?

Re: Update KDE

Did you try switching from the open source to the proprietary nVidia driver?

Comment

I tried many times to install the proprietary driver but I didn't manage to install it (searched for help in the internet and still didn't work. Every time there was a different error).

And every time I installed the open source driver I needed to reinstall Kubuntu, because Kubuntu crashed on the boot and wouldn't let me use even a tty.

Comment

What procedure were you following to install the driver? What error messages did you receive? What model graphics card do you have?

Comment

My nvidia is GT 130 M and I use 64 bits system.

I tried the following:

- Logged in tty1, stopped kdm (service kdm stop) and tried running the installer.
          - Nouveau driver in use. I ordered it to try and disable it but with no success.
          - I tried adding the nouveau driver to the blacklist on modprobe. No success either.
          - I don't remember exactly what I did to disable it, but when I tried running the installer again it said it couldn't find the kernel sources, but the system was booting fine (with no nouveau driver of course)

Thats about it. It took me a lot of time just to manage to disable the nouveau driver then when the other error ocurred I just gave up and reverted back to 10.10.

Comment

Launchpad hosts a PPA that makes it easy to keep your nVidia binary drivers up to date. Please try this at a command line:

$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates

$ sudo apt-get update

$ sudo apt-get install nvidia-current nvidia-current-modaliases nvidia-settings

Comment

Thanks for the tip!

As soon as I have time (this week is impossible, probably in the next) I will try it and post the result here.

Comment

Working...
              X