Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Re: VMware player won't work after updates (SOLVED)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can install vmware player successfully on my Kubuntu 10.10 OS but once I do the 394 updates it no longer works.

I am using the patch discussed in this sub-forum.

How can I make vmware player work after all of the updates?

Thank you.

Re: VMware player won't work after updates

Maybe I need to give vmware player a chance to update itself so it can handle the 2.6.35-30 kernel. Vmware player does work with the 2.6.35-22 kernel that ships with Kubuntu 10.10.

So if I install the OS and run it for awhile then vmware player will update and be able to handle the latest kernel?

Comment

Being able to run Windows inside Linux is so cool so it's worth the trouble!

Comment

I am trying vmware player 4.00. I am downloading it after getting vmware player 3.1.3 working in Kubuntu 10.10 (linux kernel 2.6.35-22) KDE 4.5.1.

I will report back.

Comment

It's pretty good, you can just get it by selecting updates.

Comment

Hello, it's me again... VMware player will not work with kernel 3.6.35-30 which is what you get after installing all the updates after a clean install of Kubuntu 10.10.

What I am going to do is set up my grub to boot into kernel 3.6.35-22, the kernel that Kubuntu 10.10 ships with. VMware player will work fine this way after I follow the instructions elsewhere in this sub-forum. Also, I get the benefits of all the updates just not the kernel update which I think probably doesn't really matter to me anyway.

Thanks for reading!

Comment

I know you marked this solved, but I have a question. How well is VMware Player 4.0 working for you?

I've been using VirtualBox for a while, keeping it religiously upgraded. But even with plenty of RAM, PowerPoint performs like crap in presentation mode and the Windows image viewer flat out refuses to work, no matter how I fiddle with the 2D/3D acceleration settings.

So I'm thinking of switching over to VMware; I'm curious what your opinion of it is.

Comment

Hello and Happy New Year!

I really like VMWare Player but my use of it is really quite limited so for that reason I am not sure I can really advise you. My main use is to check e-mail from my work website which does not support linux. I also have different Windows versions and Debian virtual machines mostly just for the fun of it.

Overall, I am impressed with it. It seems to be very reliable and not buggy. The free version is definitely derived from the commercial versions that better work for the paying customers!

Hope this helps.

rogerduncan100

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley

So I'm thinking of switching over to VMware; I'm curious what your opinion of it is.
                  Steve, I'm a longtime VMware Player user, most recently on KDE 4.7.2 (Debian). Win 7 (or XP) runs fine on it (my wife runs Office 2007 on Win 7/VMware Player 4), but there is one tiny patch you need to run so it works on kernels 3.0+. Yell if you get serious and I'll show you how to patch it so vmnet works right.

Comment

Working...
                  X