Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[FIXED]Desktop effects spontaneously disable ... on separate machines!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[FIXED]Desktop effects spontaneously disable ... on separate machines!

I have several machines of various ages running 10.04.01 netbook Kubuntu. Until recently, all had working desktop effects using the default install settings. Two of the more recent machines could be a little slow on the display, and have had RAM upgrades which cleared the problem. The oldest, an Advent QC430, has not had a problem, despite having only the original 1GB RAM.

Today, all the machines have disabled desktop effects and compositing, pretty much simultaneously.

Attempting to re-enable effects returns a message that effects could not be enabled with the chosen (default) settings and that I should try reconfiguring or checking my X settings.

No configuration changes make any difference, the same error message is still returned .... with the notable except for changing from OpenGL to Xrender, which puts the machine in molasses mode and you cannot get out of it because attempting to reselect OpenGL fails with the error message and the system returns you to Xrender mode configuration.

2 days ago, updates included xserver-common and xserver-xorg-core. Are these a possible source of this common trans-system glitch?

"You, sir are no gentleman!"
    "I knew there was something about me that I liked."
    Commander Vimes, Jingo, by Terry Pratchett

Linux User (# 368182) since 1996
    Unix initiated on SCO Xenix from 1992 <Pobody's nerfect>

Re: Desktop effects spontaneously disable ... on separate machines!

The answer would seem to be yes ... further corrective updates to xserver-common and xserver-xorg-core have just arrived ... relating to unwanted interference with the running of code ... and fixed the desktop effects on all machines.

Hey, ho ...

"You, sir are no gentleman!"
    "I knew there was something about me that I liked."
    Commander Vimes, Jingo, by Terry Pratchett

Linux User (# 368182) since 1996
    Unix initiated on SCO Xenix from 1992 <Pobody's nerfect>

Comment

as a general rule i try to avoid using XRender, cause its Sloooowwwww.... i've not seen one machine run effects even halfway decently using it. if opengl does not work i just disable them .
      Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
      (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Simple question but have you tried restarting x server?
        AMD PhenomII X2 550 CPU - Asus M4A88TD-Evo - Nvidia GT640 - 4G 1333 ram - Kubuntu 13.04 - KDE 4.10.5 amd64

Comment

Originally posted by nadrach
          ... further corrective updates to xserver-common and xserver-xorg-core have just arrived ...and fixed the desktop effects on all machines.
          Asked and answered.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Re: [FIXED]Desktop effects spontaneously disable ... on separate machines!

Originally posted by nadrach
            with the notable except for changing from OpenGL to Xrender, which puts the machine in molasses mode and you cannot get out of it because attempting to reselect OpenGL fails with the error message and the system returns you to Xrender mode configuration.
            To file in your memory (or on an Evernote page, where I keep such gems)... this is controlled by the environment variable QT_GRAPHICSSYSTEM. One possible rescue step would have been to switch to a TTY and enter:

echo "export QT_GRAPHICSSYSTEM=raster" > ~/.kde/env/qt-graphicssystem.sh

then log out and log in.

Performance-wise, Raster is midway between OpenGL and XRender.

Comment

Working...
            X