This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(solved) remove ntfs config completely

Hey everyone, looked through the forums and couldn't really find anything somewhat recent for my problem. I'm running 10.10 w/KDE 4.4 and like an idiot i installed and ran ntfs configuration tool when i didn't need to and now my hard drives will not mount/unmount correctly and also when i boot up or restart i'm asked to skip or recover my ntfs drives even after uninstalling ntfs config. Can anyone please help me? I've tried to edit fstab with no effect also. Thank you
    AMD PhenomII X2 550 CPU - Asus M4A88TD-Evo - Nvidia GT640 - 4G 1333 ram - Kubuntu 13.04 - KDE 4.10.5 amd64

Re: remove ntfs config completely

I have never used ntfs config .....it was never necessary for me when trying to mount a ntfs drive from even before 10.04 so I'm not shur what it may have done.

perhaps it's left some configs some ware that are still being read.
    you could try reinstalling it and as the package sead look for a disable option.
    This program allow you to easily configure all of your NTFS devices
    to allow write support via a friendly gui.
    For that use, it will configure them to use the open source ntfs-3g
    driver. You'll also be able to easily disable this feature.
    or remove it with the purge option (purge removes config's as well as the program)

ntfs-3g alone gives read/write acsess and nothing elce should be neaded.

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Tried purging it and restarted with the same thing so i'm gonna keep looking for a config file somewhere, otherwise i'm a little stumped. Thanks for the response, that was a good suggestion.
      AMD PhenomII X2 550 CPU - Asus M4A88TD-Evo - Nvidia GT640 - 4G 1333 ram - Kubuntu 13.04 - KDE 4.10.5 amd64

Comment

Ok, so i purged ntfs config and then edited fstab. Things seem to be working fine now, just have to figure out how to configurate ntfs g3 so my drives spin down when not in use as i still cannot unmount them from dolphin. Keep getting there is a file/s in use on the drive message. Wonder if i delete everything inside the fstab file that things might reset upooon restart?

Comment

Originally posted by snappwrench
          Ok, so i purged ntfs config and then edited fstab. Things seem to be working fine now, just have to figure out how to configurate ntfs g3 so my drives spin down when not in use as i still cannot unmount them from dolphin. Keep getting there is a file/s in use on the drive message. Wonder if i delete everything inside the fstab file that things might reset upooon restart?
          IF by every thing you meen everything concerning the ntfs drives then maby you could try ...but if you remove everything from that file you will be in a unbootabel state.

this file controls what gets mounted at boot time and that incudes the system /

VINNY
          16GB RAM

Comment

Yeah i kinda figured, should work for my storage drives though yeah? I managed to fix the boot-up issue so now i'm just trying to figure out how to unmount the drives that auto mount at start-up. I don't mind that they auto mount but I would like to unmount them when not in use without going through terminal. Should be able to do that through dolphin.

Comment

Yeah i kinda figured, should work for my storage drives though yeah? I managed to fix the boot-up issue so now i'm just trying to figure out how to unmount the drives that auto mount at start-up. I don't mind that they auto mount but I would like to unmount them when not in use without going through terminal. Should be able to do that through dolphin.
              if you dont kneed them mounted at boot don't add them to fstab............you should still see them in dolphin's places panel where you can mount/unmount them as needed with a click?

VINNY
              16GB RAM

Comment

Cool, then i guess this is solved. Thanks for the replies.

Comment

Cool, then i guess this is solved. Thanks for the replies.
                  you are welcome

I have had lots of help hear and try to give back when I can .......and it's a great forum 8)

VINNY
                  16GB RAM

Comment

Yeah i really appreciate the help. I joined some other forums and still haven't gotten any response so I seem to be in the right place Been a Kubuntu user for a long time now and it's still my favorite out of all the others i've tried.

Comment

Yeah i really appreciate the help. I joined some other forums and still haven't gotten any response so I seem to be in the right place
                      ya I'v had bad experiences at certain forums before .......but this place is a frendley as can be
                      Been a Kubuntu user for a long time now and it's still my favorite out of all the others i've tried.
                      yes I agree I found my way hear about 2 years ago and stuck.
                      I like KDE and though I even like Slackware I find Kubuntu the easiest to get to a usable state (usually just is )and keep that way.
                      Dont get me wrong I like having to hammer stuff out my self some times (ya Slackware)and enjoy the feeling of accomplishment that that brings.
                      but it's nice not to half to most of the time

come to think of it I haven't done a slack install sence 8 or 9 ....I see thare up to 13somthing maby time for a hare pulling ...LOL

VINNY

16GB RAM

Comment

Working...
                      X