This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sound changes to telephone bell ringing

Lately, my sound occasionally changes to one like an old-fashioned telephone ringing. It's happened, for instance, twice this morning when Amarok changed from one song to another. When it happens, the sound is really screwed up; even VLC gets the same sound.

The last time it happened, it was enough to log out and back in again.

I'm using something called "Internal Audio Analog Stereo" which is what is installed on my Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L motherboard. I have to unmute it at every boot.

Any ideas? I admit that sound in Kubuntu is far too complicated, at least for my taste.
    'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

Re: Sound changes to telephone bell ringing

Open a console and run

sudo alsamixer

Does one of your sound sources show "MM" in the small box under the slider, rather than "OO," as you see in mine?

If so, select it with your cursor keys and then press the M key to unmute it. This should persist across reboots. I encountered this when I was doing a build-from-scratch KDE.

Comment

Re: Sound changes to telephone bell ringing

Yes, I do see some OOs, so I changed them all. They were on things like CD or Front Mike, so I do not know what effect they may have.

Anyway, I do not have the problem any more, but I do not remember why. For one thing tho, I am at another level of Kubuntu now.

Thanks for the tip.
      'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
      X