This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RESOLVED: How to convert mp4 or flv to mp3

I want to extract the sound from a Youtube video. I have read many suggestions on the Net, but none of them work except perhaps the one suggesting that I recompile ffmpeg. But I am definitely not comfortable with compiling pieces of my system. Besides, there ought to be another way.

Using vlc to convert gives a message

It seems your FFMPEG (libavcodec) installation lacks the following encoder:
    MPEG Audio layer 1/2/3.

Using ffmpeg says

Encoder (codec id 86017) not found for output stream #0.0

I am at vmlinuz-2.6.35-28-generic.

Clearly there is something missing. So how to install it? Any suggestions welcome. Thanks in advance.
    'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

Re: How to convert mp4 or flv to mp3

Ok, I found the solution on the Ubuntu Forum at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1614446

Need to install kubuntu-restricted-extras

Thanks anyway.
    'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

Comment

Re: RESOLVED: How to convert mp4 or flv to mp3

Once you have done that an insanely easy way to extract the music is to do an add-on to Firefox: video download helper.

Since you already have ffmpeg installed, when you click it and then choose the "convert" option, you can convert to mpeg, mp3 several other options.

woodsmoke
      sigpic
      Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Actually, I have video download helper installed. I just didn't know it could convert to pure mp3.

Thanks for the tip, Woodsmoke.

Comment

ffmpeg has its own GUI named WINFF.
          Kubuntu 16.04 on two computers and Kubuntu 17.04 on DELL Latitude 13

Comment

you're quite welcome!

The media companies just don't want to admit that people have figured out that they don't want to buy a 45 rpm of Gene Pitney singing Town Without Pity on one side and I can't even remember what was on the other side.

CD companies have made quite a bit of change from me downloading "for personal use" .... for which they oh my golly LOSE A SALE!!! .... a video and extracting the mp3 to listen to several times and then later buying the cd.

woodsmoke
            sigpic
            Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

for now I can't install this encoder MPEG Audio layer 1/2/3, resource is just not available
              some ideas?

Comment

Working...
              X