This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

being a dummie

OK, I'm being a dummy. Wine is installed and I can call up winecfg, but when I install MS office, there is no wine menu (with the apps in it) as my web research says their should be.

EDIT: OK, not so dumb. When I right-click on an office file, MSO appears in the context menu...

Re: being a dummie

You're not a dummy. You're new to wine, etc. Been there myself recently, and it was interesting. I learned a lot fast, and you likely will also (already are, in fact). Dummies cannot do that! Carry on...

Comment

LOL Thanks.

Comment

SHOULD there be entries in KMenu for my Wine applications (MS Office) - you know, so I can start MS Office apps without clicking on an existing app?

Comment

Originally posted by PattiMichelle
          SHOULD there be entries in KMenu for my Wine applications (MS Office) - you know, so I can start MS Office apps without clicking on an existing app?
          Well, I'm running 3 programs via Wine. One comes automatically with a Wine install (Notepad - gaak!). The other two I installed manually, and both took some fiddling before they'd run - Picasa 3, and Kindle for Windows. All three are in my KMenu, as Wine applications. I just cannot say for sure that this is an automatic thing, however, as I seem to recall some specific things I had to do to achieve this menu entry. Details escape me at present, though. Very busy day with this Natty upgrade business...

Comment

Well, I installed Steam (a suite of games) and nothing appears. PlayOnLinux does nothing (in terms of running installed software). QtWine also seems to do nothing. Googling this is like trying to google starting your car (turn the key). Sheesh!

EDIT: OK, on a whim I tried the Alt-f2 thingie (it seems to be "smarter" than the GUI) and steam (and the games) was there. So KDE+Wine is currently stuck somewhere between GUI and command-line in its interface technology. Humph.

I guess it could also be a borked KDE. When I try to open any of the applets in System Settings, then KDE restarts. I have to access those applets through the Alt-f2 thingie. Nobody seems to know a fix and I don't want to update until fixed

EDIT 2: Oh, and I meant to ask - how is/did that Update to Natty going/go? Some people have had some pretty serious problems it sounds like.

Comment

Working...
            X