X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gnote miraculousness (auto-starts magically) ô_O

Hi everybody,

I'm running Ubuntu 10.10 + KDE 4.6.2.

I've had this problem for months now and I couldn't find a way to solve it. The issue is pretty simple: 'gnote' app auto-starts when the system is booted and I've yet to find a way to stop it.

I've checked the following folders:

/home/user/.config/autostart/
    /home/user/.kde/Autostart/
    /home/user/.local/share/autostart/

and I've also checked the following apps/modules:

'Boot-up Manager' (BUM)
    Autostart - KDE Control Module
    gnome-session-properties

and NOTHING. No sign of 'gnote' anywhere.

There are no 'Run at startup' checkboxes or anything similar in 'gnote'. Because of this, I had to add manually a shortcut to the 'Autostart - KDE Control Module' a long time ago (back when I actually wanted it to auto-start). When I got tired of 'gnote', I removed that entry but the app continued to auto-start.

Also, I have 'Start with an empty session' checked under 'System settings / Session management'. I mention this because this was the reason I couldn't get 'Pidgin' to stop auto-starting. As you can see, I've been having problems with KDE's auto-start manager features (or the lack of them) for a while now.

Now, I know I could just uninstall the app and forget about this (I don't even use it anymore) The thing is that I'm REALLY amazed of how incredibly difficult it is to manage something as simple as the apps that start-up with the system (something that could be done in the deprecated Windows XP with 'msconfig' since it first came up, I don't know.. a decade ago?)

I want to understand how this works because I like Ubuntu + KDE a lot and I have NO intentions of going back to Windows.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Cheers,
    Gabriel

Re: Gnote miraculousness (auto-starts magically) ô_O

You might try going to ~/.kde and then grepping all files in all subdirectories for "gnote".

For example:
    Code:
    cd ~/.kde
    grep -ir "gnote" *
    If you find gnote in one of those files, back up the file, remove the line(s) in question and restart and see what happens.

I've had the problem before that one of the kde config files still contained a program to start even though it wasn't listed anywhere else. One place in particular you might want to check is ~/.kde/share/config/ksmserverrc. That file contains programs to restart for sessions.

Comment

Re: Gnote miraculousness (auto-starts magically) ô_O

Well, I found it.
      The 'gnote.desktop' file was located (hidden) in '/usr/share/autostart'

So that makes four (4!!) folders (so far) that I have to check to track down auto-starting apps. A bit ridiculous if you ask me, anyway...

Thanks tnorris!

Comment

Working...
      X