This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE won t shutdown anymore

Hello tomorrow i received 175 updates these updates are updating the current kde 4.6.1 to kde 4.6.2 after updating kde mine pc won t shutdown i get an prompt with an strange message about something time.

I have tried as root to shutdown the pc even that isn t possible, i have tried/sbin/shutdown but it does nothing i have tried reboot also nothing happens what is going wrong with the update please help me figure out.

Re: KDE won t shutdown anymore

Originally posted by Marc
    can you unplug it from power src?

Comment

Someone changed shutdown option to "/sbin/shutdown -p now" which is used on bsd. Change this line in kdmrc to "/sbin/shutdown -h now".

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=270228
      Plasma 5 look&feel for KDE4: http://kde-look.org/content/show.php...content=166438

Comment

wait a second don't u want

shutdown -P now (as thats power off after halt)

edit: please not the large "P" there is no "p" option so that would never work but

Originally posted by shutdown --help

Options:
        -r reboot after shutdown
        -h halt or power off after shutdown
        -H halt after shutdown (implies -h)
        -P power off after shutdown (implies -h)
        -c cancel a running shutdown
        -k only send warnings, don't shutdown
        -q, --quiet reduce output to errors only
        -v, --verbose increase output to include informational messages
        --help display this help and exit
        --version output version information and exit
        and slightly further down

The system is brought down into maintenance (single-user) mode by default, you can change this with either the -r
        or -h option which specify a reboot or system halt respectively. The -h option can be further modified with -H
        or -P to specify whether to halt the system, or to power it off afterwards. The default is left up to the
        shutdown scripts.
        Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
        (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

This problem is also infecting 11.04 as of today's updates.

Originally posted by sithlord48

The system is brought down into maintenance (single-user) mode by default, you can change this with either the -r
          or -h option which specify a reboot or system halt respectively. The -h option can be further modified with -H
          or -P to specify whether to halt the system, or to power it off afterwards. The default is left up to the
          shutdown scripts.
          The key term here is "further". "Further modified" means it is "-h" first, and then you can add the P if you want it. But not "-P" all by itself.

Personally, on every computer I've installed Linux on, -h appended to "shutdown now" (with a sudo prefix for *buntu) will shut it all the way down including power off. So I dunno what, exactly, the role of "P" would be -- kind of like adding ice to Antarctica, in my view.

Comment

I have found the posts a little obscure, so I have decided to add what I did to solve the problem. I opened the console and entered the following:
            Code:
            :~$ cd /etc/kde4/kdm
            :~$ sudo kate kdmrc
            I then found that all the text in the section after [Shutdown] was commented. For example:
            #Default is "/sbin/shutdown -p now"
            #HaltCmd=
            I then changed this section to:
            # Default is "/sbin/shutdown -p now"
            HaltCmd= /sbin/shutdown -h now
            The same needs to be done to the reboot which was also commented out. The text here should be changed to:
            # Default is "/sbin/shutdown -r now"
            RebootCmd=/sbin/shutdown -r now
            I found that for these changes to become effective it is necessary to reboot. Hope this helps clarify where the kdmrc file is located and where the changes in this file need to be made.

My apologies for the cut and paste errors in my previous post. Hope all is now correct.

Comment

@ Dibl , im not sure it may have to do with your acpi settings? when i do -h my machine is not doing anything(as in the os goes down) but fans are still left running.
              Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
              (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

@sithlord48, that is possible. I'm estimating that I've used shutdown on about a dozen different hardware models, desktops and laptops and netbooks, and with 3 or 4 different Linux distributions, and I've never had -h fail to power it off. But, there's always more platforms out there, and yours may well have something that needs "P".

Comment

Hi,

I've had the same issue but within kdmrc nothing was commented out and all I had to change was '-p' to '-h' and that closes the system down.

Celeron CPU G1610@2.60GHz x 2
                  GeForce 8400 GS/PCle/SSE2
                  Kubuntu 14.04 - 64 bit Linux - KDE 4.13.0

Comment

I noticed a shut down issue on my laptop, it would end up on a log in prompt on the CLI and the regular sudo shutdown -h now would finish the job. >

Everything is well again after I followed NoWorries recipe and fixed the commented out shutdown and restart commands in kdmrc.

Thanks!

Comment

Dodged a bullet here - I elected not to replace kdmrc on both my machines :P
                      we see things not as they are, but as we are.
                      -- anais nin

Comment

Latest updates for KDE 4.6.2 have fixed the problem . Interestingly, the lines that I replaced are now back to the original commented lines. Looks like the problem was elsewhere.

One interesting observation that I made after the updates is that my Skype video in >Options>Video Devices>Test is no longer dark and noisy .

A word of congratulations and well done to the maintainers is definitely needed .

Comment

Originally posted by NoWorries
                          Latest updates for KDE 4.6.2 have fixed the problem . Interestingly, the lines that I replaced are now back to the original commented lines. Looks like the problem was elsewhere.

One interesting observation that I made after the updates is that my Skype video in >Options>Video Devices>Test is no longer dark and noisy .

A word of congratulations and well done to the maintainers is definitely needed .
                          Thanks for your answer up above. It worked. I haven't updated yet. Also good news regarding Skype. I just recently used the new beta version of Skype and was impressed how well it now works. I can now even use the mic on my webcam, which I wasn't able to in the past.
                          Boot Info Script

Comment

I followed your procedure but the problem still remains in my Kubuntu 11.10, any help?

Originally posted by NoWorries
                            I have found the posts a little obscure, so I have decided to add what I did to solve the problem. I opened the console and entered the following:
                            Code:
                            :~$ cd /etc/kde4/kdm
                            :~$ sudo kate kdmrc
                            I then found that all the text in the section after [Shutdown] was commented. For example:
                            #Default is "/sbin/shutdown -p now"
                            #HaltCmd=
                            I then changed this section to:
                            # Default is "/sbin/shutdown -p now"
                            HaltCmd= /sbin/shutdown -h now
                            The same needs to be done to the reboot which was also commented out. The text here should be changed to:
                            # Default is "/sbin/shutdown -r now"
                            RebootCmd=/sbin/shutdown -r now
                            I found that for these changes to become effective it is necessary to reboot. Hope this helps clarify where the kdmrc file is located and where the changes in this file need to be made.

My apologies for the cut and paste errors in my previous post. Hope all is now correct.

Comment

Working...
                            X