This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does KDE 4.6.2 SC update works for you?

At this moment - not for me, kded4 eating 98% cpu, plasma desktop wont work and crashes (only plasma-netbook works), no OpenGL (as opposed to 4.6.1), network-manager does not want to connect any SID (but displays interface wlan0 as ready).

Ive discouraged by so much unsuccess in update.

Perhaps not all packages I have tryed (they still uploading into ppa)?

Re: Does KDE 4.6.2 SC update works for you?

Downloading here ATM. Will let you know. Gosh, the ppa server is so slow as compared to the mirror I use for the repos ... I don't think it is mirrored, is it?

Comment

Working fine. But after the upgrade, having logged out, restarted X and logged in, it was really laggy. I rebooted and now it's pretty nsappy, probably better than 4.6.1.

If you still have troubles, myabe try moving /home/YOU/.kde into /home/YOU/.kdebackup and trying again. One of the most annoying things in KDE is that sometimes an old config in KDE really f's up an update to a newer KDE.

Comment

Originally posted by lmilano
        If you still have troubles, myabe try moving /home/YOU/.kde into /home/YOU/.kdebackup and trying again.
        Updating system packages would not cause any problem, since it does stable job (apt). And the question indeed is about your kde desktop settings.

I have expected to see configured KDE desktop (anyhow lets partially migrated, but with at least kwallet migrated to 4.6.2).

If I remove old .kde - new (empty) works, upgraded, but how to upgrade configs? kconf_update seems hangs kded and this makes my old settings unusable (means - just trash them out).

Comment

Wow. That's annoying. Sorry, I think it is supposed to work, and when it fails there is no magic bullet. Most of the times the issue in the old .kde are the plasma config files. So you could try using a copy of your old .kde without the "plasm*" files in .kde/share/config

Cheers!
          Leo

Comment

Originally posted by lmilano
            So you could try using a copy of your old .kde without the "plasm*" files in .kde/share/config

Cheers!
            Leo
            You are right, man, thanks in advance!

Really plasm* configs were a big stone in destop boot.

Comment

the upgrade worked flawlessly on ms.sith's maverick machine.
              Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
              (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Apart for having to restore to an older version of xorg.conf I've not found issues.

Comment

I had a problem with Kmix locking up after a short while and using anywhere from 20-50% cpu. This was also a problem in other KDE releases. I just deleted ~/.kde/share/apps/kmix and it seems to be working fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis
                    Apart for having to restore to an older version of xorg.conf I've not find issues.
                    Not sure that my solution is good for you, but I have used /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/
                    folder to attach customizations (these just can be a section for each file or entire xorg.conf, or any combination). In my case I have placed a description for my second VGA-1 monitor (sitting at LVDS as a default).
                    You might want to try this also, checking /var/log/Xorg.0.log for debug output.

Comment

Working...
                    X