X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: things that kill KDE

Originally posted by PattiMichelle

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Redwood [Radeon HD 5600 Series] (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
    Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Device 1449
    Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx+
    Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
    Latency: 0, Cache Line Size: 64 bytes
    Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 53
    Region 0: Memory at c0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
    Region 2: Memory at d4000000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=128K]
    Region 4: I/O ports at 4000 [size=256]
    Expansion ROM at d4040000 [disabled] [size=128K]
    Capabilities: <access denied>
    Kernel driver in use: fglrx_pci
    Kernel modules: fglrx, radeon

patti@dv7t-Kubuntu64:~$
    patti@dv7t-Kubuntu64:~$ lsmod
    Module Size Used by

fglrx 2523725 302
    So, it's an ATI HD5600, using the fglrx driver. I had such a lousy experience with an ATI card when I first started with Linux that I've been sticking with Nvidia ever since. But, you have your Google resource, and there are previous posts on this forum on this topic, and there is Ubuntu official guidance, and with luck one of our ATI users on this forum can even jump in and advise you.

One idea, the value of which I have no idea about, would be to rmmod your fglrx module, and modprobe the radeon module, and see if you get a better result with that driver. But, first check around and see if you can find something on Ubuntu forums about the HD5600.

Comment

I'm a NVidia girl too, but this is a laptop which only option was HD5650 (I think I'm done with HP)... waaaa. A search on HD5600 in 10.10 turned up exactly 1 hit (this one).

Is it truly possible that my video card is flawlessly compatable with Kubuntu 10.10 (3D, Compiz, compositing, IDL, thunderbird/firefox, Maple, IDL, and the usual cast of system apps) except for the startup of those two System Settings applets and Cantor? I'm stressing it, too - two monitors, the second one in the laptop's HDMI port work flawlessly. In every other distro where I've used ATI, incompatabilities with the video driver have much more pronounced and system-wide effects (black screen of death, no 3D, unexpected system freezes that aren't tied to anything obvious). I really could use Cantor, tho. maybe I'll move back to OpenSuSE for Cantor.

EDIT: I meant to ask about a system crash log file - is there anything like that which will record *why* KDE suddenly borked? like a segfault or something (would such be helpful?)

EDIT2: I was wondering, is there a nondestructive way to roll all system software back to the DVD? As I recall, everything worked fine up until at least that point.

Comment

I turned up this, which may or may not have information that you didn't already know: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto/ATI

Comment

Working...
        X