This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"kdedrc not writeable" message

Yesterday I shut down my system after using it for several hours with no unusual events. I was web browsing and checking email, and little else.

This morning I turned the system on. Before the login screen appeared, the following message popped up:

/tmp/1400130966/kde/share/config/kdedrc not writeable. Please contact your system administrator.

Closing this message, the login screen appears, and I can login and use the system with no apparent ill effects.

There is no folder named '1400130966' folder under /tmp, and I can't find a file named kdedrc anywhere on the system.

Searching the forum and the web, I found several reports of this error message, but they all seem to be in very different scenarios, and I got no clues as to what to do about it.

Can anyone help?
    I am relatively new to Linux, but quite experienced with DOS and Windows.&nbsp; I&#39;m comfortable editing things like fstab, etc., but I need specific instructions of what files to edit and what to add.<br /><br />My system is Kubuntu 10.10, using KDE 4.5.1.

Re: &quot;kdedrc not writeable&quot; message

Ignore it. The message referred to a 'temporary' file location.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Can't ignore it. It appears every time I boot.
      I am relatively new to Linux, but quite experienced with DOS and Windows.&nbsp; I&#39;m comfortable editing things like fstab, etc., but I need specific instructions of what files to edit and what to add.<br /><br />My system is Kubuntu 10.10, using KDE 4.5.1.

Comment

Originally posted by beckfield
        Can't ignore it. It appears every time I boot.
        Well,

Originally posted by beckfield
        Closing this message, the login screen appears, and I can login and use the system with no apparent ill effects.

There is no folder named '1400130966' folder under /tmp, and I can't find a file named kdedrc anywhere on the system.
        As you said above, "I can login and use the system with no apparent ill effects."

Here, on my Natty 11.04, kdedrc exists at /home/paul/.kde/share/config/kdedrc and has a date/time stamp of when Natty was installed (it hasn't been updated since). It contains just two lines:

[$Version]
        update_info=kded.upd:kde3.0

Looking in my Maverick 10.10, kdedrc exists at /home/paul/.kde/share/config/kdedrc and has a date/time stamp of when I upgraded from Lucid (it hasn't been updated since). It contains just two lines:

[$Version]
        update_info=kded.upd:kde3.0

If as you say, kdedrc really doesn't exist anywhere on your system, create it. Open Kate (or your favorite text editor) and put the two lines I've shown above and save it as ~/.kde/share/config/kdedrc
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

In my installation happens exactly the same thing.

At every start of the login screen I get the message

Configuration file "/tmp/<some long number>/.kde4/share/config/kdedrc" not writable.
          Please contact your system administrator.

Why does kde want to write to /tmp?

Comment

Working...
          X