Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flash-aid no longer helps, how to activate 64-bit installer?

Very frustrating -- when things that worked stop working because of an update.

My flash pages aren't working now. Flash-aid, which helped in the past, doesn't help me now. I've installed the package flashplugin64-installer, but as far as I can tell the new plugin hasn't actually been installed because the installer hasn't been invoked -- and I can't figure out how to invoke it.

Comment

Re: flash player upgrade

I am running FF-4.0 and yesterday I noticed, after an update, that my flash video wasn't working.
      I ran Synaptic, and uninstalled it. I noticed that there was a 64bit version in the repository and I installed it.
      My flash video (CNN, etc.) is now working again.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Synaptic actions

Which packages exactly did you install and uninstall? I've been switching back and forth, using Synaptic, between flashplugin-installer, version 10.2.153.ubuntu10.10.1, and flashplugin64-installer, version 10.3.162.29-0ubuntu0. Neither works. I've been testing them with http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/welcome/, which is intended for testing Flash.

I've also been examining the file structure within /usr/lib, but to no avail. There seem to be several relevant subdirectories: firefox/plugins, flashplugin-installer, and mozilla/plugins. You can look around for versions of libflashplayer.so, the critical file, with ll $(find /usr/lib -name libflashplayer.so).

I had everything working until Firefox 4 showed up. Having that and 64-bit Flash come out at about the same time has been a disaster for me. And having this software suite go under two names -- Mozilla and Firefox -- adds to the confusion.

Comment

Re: flash player upgrade

10.3.162.29-0ubuntu0~sevenmachines2

Source location: deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/sevenmachines/flash/ubuntu lucid main

What that package installs:
          /usr/lib/flashplugin-installer
          /usr/lib/iceape
          /usr/lib/iceape/plugins
          /usr/lib/iceweasel
          /usr/lib/iceweasel/plugins
          /usr/lib/midbrowser
          /usr/lib/midbrowser/plugins
          /usr/lib/mozilla
          /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins
          /usr/lib/xulrunner
          /usr/lib/xulrunner-addons
          /usr/lib/xulrunner-addons/plugins
          /usr/lib/xulrunner/plugins
          /usr/share
          /usr/share/doc
          /usr/share/doc/flashplugin64-installer
          /usr/share/doc/flashplugin64-installer/changelog.Debian.gz
          /usr/share/doc/flashplugin64-installer/copyright
          /usr/share/ubufox
          /usr/share/ubufox/plugins
          /var
          /var/cache
          /var/cache/flashplugin-installer
          /var/lib
          /var/lib/flashplugin-installer
          Files on my system:
          /etc/alternatives/chromium-browser-flashplugin
          /etc/alternatives/firefox-flashplugin
          /etc/alternatives/iceape-flashplugin
          /etc/alternatives/iceweasel-flashplugin
          /etc/alternatives/midbrowser-flashplugin
          /etc/alternatives/mozilla-flashplugin
          /etc/alternatives/xulrunner-addons-flashplugin
          /etc/alternatives/xulrunner-flashplugin
          /etc/apt/sources.list.d/sevenmachines-flash-lucid.list
          /etc/apt/sources.list.d/sevenmachines-flash-lucid.list.distUpgrade
          /etc/apt/sources.list.d/sevenmachines-flash-lucid.list.save
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Eureka!

I read somewhere that there was a problem with where files were being put. I did this:
            Code:
            sudo cp /usr/lib/flashplugin-installer/libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/
            and Flash came to life at last with version 10.2.153.1. Good until the next update, I suppose.

Comment

Flash died

Well, that didn't last long! I left the machine overnight and in the morning Flash wasn't working. I have no idea what could have happened in the interim. Now I can't get either the 32-bit or 64-bit version to work. I've tried linking /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so to /usr/lib/flashplugin-installer/libflashplayer.so, but that doesn't help either. To confuse matters further, some component is being cached, apparently, but clearing the cache through the Tools menu doesn't help at all. Most recently, after some tinkering, I tried aboutlugins, and Shockwave is no longer listed there, nor is it listed at Tools/Addons/Plugins.

There are apparently some software components involved in addition to the Flash package itself, but I don't know what they are. Installing Flash, either 32-bit or 64-bit, is necessary but not sufficient. So I'm stuck again.

Comment

Working...
              X