Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trying to update to the latest NVIDIA drivers, I crashed X!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying to update to the latest NVIDIA drivers, I crashed X!

Recently I did a kernel upgrade to 2.6.35-28-generic-pae, and after a few days I noticed some weird flickering graphics in the upper left side of the screen.

Out of curiosity, I checked to see what NVIDIA driver version I was running, and it was 260.19.06, and I discovered that the latest driver from NVIDIA was 260.19.44.

Excellent, I'll update to the latest driver, and I'm sure that will solve the weird flickering graphics problem!

so I downloaded the file, and after logging out and starting a console login, I ran the command to install it.

Code:
     sudo sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-260.19.44.run
    Got an error saying it had a problem with the script, would try to install manually.

sure I thought, no problem!

Once I rebooted, got a command prompt. when I tried to start X, I got this error message

API mismatch: the NVIDIA kernel module has version 260.19.06, but this NVIDIA driver component has version 260.19.44

So what do i need to do to update the Nvidia kernel module?

tried this, but it didn't work,

Code:
     sudo dpkg-reconfigure linux-image-2.6.35-28-generic-pae
    thanks!

Note to self - when 11.04 comes out, quit trying to be so "bleeding edge" until I understand just what I'm doing.

Re: Trying to update to the latest NVIDIA drivers, I crashed X!

Depending on how your 2.6.38 kernel was compiled, there have been some issues with the proprietary Nvidia driver. (background story about BKL being removed from 2.6.39, some headers changed in 2.6.38 kernels in anticipation of BKL coming out, yadda yadda yadda).

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=160714

BTW, is that 2.6.38 kernel available from the 10.10 repo, or are you kernel-fishing in troubled waters?

Comment

Updated it from outside the repos. For some reason, it won't automatically download it when i check using apt-get.

Comment

There are some substantial changes happening, from kernel 2.6.37 - 2.6.39. You need to take it careful and easy, pulling in new kernels. Can you boot your 2.6.37 kernel from 10.10?

If you want to play with a 2.6.38 kernel, probably a better approach would be to try Kubuntu 11.04.

Comment

I tried the .28, .27 and the .22 that was still on there, and was unable to boot into any of them.

A while back I was trying to get a game to work, so I installed some beta video drivers. Since then I've found myself ahead of the official repositories, and it's caused some grief.

Decided to just backup my /home and reinstall 10.10. Then I'll let the repos update everything instead of me getting ahead.

Comment

Interesting article I came across this morning.
            http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item&px=OTIzMg

Comment

Originally posted by Detonate
              Interesting article I cam across this morning.
              http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item&px=OTIzMg
              Good read! First, I'm disheartened to learn that my GPU is "low-end" but, then again, I don't want to keep up with $300 graphics cards. This is just one more reason to look forward to 11.04! Maybe no more hassle with the proprietary nvidia driver.
              Home: Kubuntu 12.04-amd64; Intel i7-860 on Intel DH55PJ; Nvidia 9500GT; 6GB RAM
              Network Slave: Xubuntu 11.10-x86; Intel P4-Prescott on MSI; 2GB RAM; Nvidia FX5200
              Portable: Xubuntu 11.10-amd64; Asus EeePC 1015PEM

Comment

Working...
              X