Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can I get rid of akonadi once and for all?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How can I get rid of akonadi once and for all?

I am using kubuntu meerkat fully upgraded from the backports repo.

There was a big KDE update a couple of days ago and as usual I have the very annoying akonadi self test box come up every time I start kmail.
    I get this problem every time there is a KDE update and always have to spend hours on google trying to sort it out.
    Then next update it comes back.
    This has overtaken the "evolution default keyring" in gnome as the most annoying thing in linux for me and I just want to get rid of akonadi completely but still use kmail

Re: How can I get rid of akonadi once and for all?

I have zero issues with akonadi and Kontact/Kmail in Maverick, now using KDE 4.6.1, and have not (had any issues) since I installed Maverick from LiveCD.

Have you reviewed: HOWTO Configure KDE and Akonadi so it just works
    I wrote it back when I was running Lucid, and my system is 32-bit, but it would be a good reference for checking your setup.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Um... that link points to this thread

Comment

Fixed.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Ahh that does look very useful. Thanks.

Unfortunately, my various attempts at disabling it has obviously made things worse and now I can't even get it to run at all to do follow the steps in your guide.

I am also having other KDE related issues that are building up with each update so I think it might be time to just give Unity or gnome shell another try

Comment

If you really, really, want a real Akonadi, working, upgrade your Maverick system again and ensure that you have Akonadi 1.5.1. There is a massive performance bug, related to the definite fixing of the Nepomuk Semantic Desktop in KDE 4.6.1, that was fixed in that release. With Akonadi 1.5.1, you simply won't have issues.

I don't have issues, and I really went to eleven with Akonadi. I compiled and installed from git KDE-PIM/Akonadi trunk (including the new KMail), Event List plasmoid, the Akonadi Facebook resource, the Akonadi Google resources (Contacts and Calendar), and the Lionmail plasmoid. With two mail accounts, I have notifications of my Facebook events and can read my mail right on my desktop, and everything runs like silk. Everything. In a 3 year old laptop.

Comment

I eventually discovered much of my akonadi problems were solved by adding an autostart entry for it.

But anyway, I have now switched to thunderbird for mail.

Comment

I think as time goes on akonadi will be more and more a part of kde, so you will have to learn to live with it, or find an alternative. as far as i know, the next version of kmail is going to use akonadi exclusively for it's backend (to store messages/etc). so i think you're out of luck on this... someone else might know better though

Comment

Well I'm not against using it, I just want it to work properly.

Comment

Working...
                  X