This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Solved] Skype Web Cam Image Corrupted after latest updates

I have noticed that others have reported problems after updates. Well today, after the updates, the image from both my web cam and my laptop web cam had similar distortion when I used the Video Options of Skype. I reinstalled most of the updates as well as Skype and the distortion was unchanged. The image below shows the distortion. I found that if I choose configure in Kopete, the web cam image is not distorted.

I would like to know if anyone else has had a similar experience with Skype after the updates or if there is something that can be done to fix this type of problem.

I wish to add that this problem only exists on my 64B ASUS F3Jr Laptop. On my 32B desktop, which is several years old, this problem does not occur. Unfortunately Skype on this desktop does not give 640x480 images as on my Laptop.

See the solution given in my last post
    Attached Files

Re: Skype Web Cam Image Corrupted after latest updates

Well Skype is not the only application that gives video problems. I have now found that Avidemux which I use for editing mpg files gives the same visual output when playing a movie. When single stepping, the image is not corrupted. For Avidemux, the >Tools>Preferences>Video shows "XVideo (best)". I used Synaptic to list applications with xvideo and did a reinstall which did not change the display of Avidemux.

I am not very familiar with this aspect of Kubuntu, but to me it seems that the problem that I am experiencing is related to the XVideo rather than the web cam. Is this a possibility?

Comment

After doing numerous re-installs of dependencies for Avidemux and Skype, nothing changed until I resorted to using the version of Skype from:

http://www.skype.com/intl/en-us/get-...omputer/linux/

Now Skype video is working as before but Avidemux has the same corruption as Skype did when Avidemux plays a movie. I now have to resort to using KpackageKit for selectively installing updates instead of using:
      ~$ sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
      as the system now shows that Skype should be updated.

No doubt I will keep checking for updates that are likely to fix the problem. The first indication for me will be when Avidemux video works correctly and doesn't look like what I am getting as shown below.
      Attached Files

Comment

After many hours of trying to fix my video problems I decided to reinstall. As I have a separate home partition this is fairly straightforward. I installed Kubuntu 10.10 and then did all the updates which was about 220 and then set the repositories for KDE 4.6 and installed it. This time I did not use the repositories for xorg-edgers, as I had previously done, because I have an ATI video card. I found that when I installed all the multimedia packages from medibuntu, all the video worked fine including Skype. Also, GoogleEarth which requires 3D works fine.

The only problem that I had with KDE 4.6 was with my dual monitor which was set to a lower resolution below the auto setting. I then went back to my previous approach where I edit /etc/kde4/kdm/Xsetup and add the line:
        xrandr --output LVDS --primary; xrandr --output LVDS --auto --output VGA-0 --auto --left-of LVDS

So, well done to the Kubuntu team and I am now a very happy user

Comment

Working...
        X