X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Simple Video Editor suggestions?

Hi All

I am thinking of turning my home video collection into something more manageable.

What I need is to basically aggregate individual clips into something with a clickable menu, where you can see a screenshot of each clip. Kind of like a dvd. I will play these files from computers (I hate DVD's. they are so error prone but maybe saving DVD ISOS is ok, you can always watch them in the PC, and you have the option to burn them)

I don't need any fancy editing of the clips, so something lice cinelerra, etc., would be overkill. Any recommendations? Anyone used KDEnlive? I tried to use PiTIVI without luck, but it may have improved. OpenShot seems to have gained quite a bit of traction (but I may need to install a bunch of gtk libs):

http://www.webupd8.org/2010/03/best-...eo-editor.html

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Cheers!

Re: Simple Video Editor suggestions?

Starting with large .mpg files captured from VHS tape, I used OpenShot to chop out the parts that weren't wanted, clean up the beginning and end, etc. Then I used DeVeDe to make the ISO images.

A couple years back I used avidemux to edit some .mpg files and convert to .avi. That worked too.

Comment

Thank you, dibl! Openshot was the most voted editor in the poll I linked above, maybe there is a reason I think my main need is something that lets you create the dvd images, because this is probably the only format where you can navigate the videos nicely. Thanks, again!

Comment

Oh, Kdenlive allows creation of DVD's:

http://www.kdenlive.org/tutorial/kdenlive-create-dvd

This is kind of what I need, but I would like the software to auto-create the menu with all the clips I picked (and then allow me to edit it if needed). I'll keep an update in this thread ...

Comment

I've had good results editing videos in KDEnlive, but I've never created a DVD with menu's. Please keep us posted.
          Registered Linux user #346571

Comment

I've used Kdenlive to truncate and concatenate video files to use at school in a lecture so that I don't have to go through a vid to get the few seconds i need and then go to the next vid. It takes a while to get the operation done, as do they all, but I found it to be very straigtforward in operation and when it starts just go get coffee or something and kind of keep an eye on it to see when it is finished.

It really is pretty much drag and drop and a couple of mouse clicks, the number of iterations depending on the number of files with which you are working.

The top, diagonally oriented, image with the wasp here shows you essentially what you work with.

woodsmoke

sigpic
            Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

I had a need to crop out some kids videos from one large video file, so I checked out a couple of programs.

Openshot initially worked great, but when I went to reopen the program, it would immediately close as soon as it launched. Never could get into the program to open again.

Next tried Avidemux, and that worked great, so I stuck with that program.

Comment

Before I forget. Among the programs I tried (mentioned above), KDENLIVE was the most complete and functional, although the resulting DVD has really ugly fonts and the menu looks way unprofessional. It also doesn't pick up the different clips the same way my SONY, mvideo camera does: it creates an easy menu with screenshots from each clip, they are all clickable. Something like that should be doable, but it's not implemented. I couldn't really do anything useful with either PiTiVi or OpenShot. The latter seems to have a very nice interface, but it just wouldn't produce an output, or an error.

Something to note is that, in KDENLIVE, File -> Transcode is of very limited use, because it supports very limited options. However, "rendering" the project does the job (it can basically create any output, from about any combination and modifications of inputs).

So, as for my little home video project, I am giving up, until KDEENLIVe matures more, or I help implement that feature, namely easy menu creation, myself (if I only had the time).

Cheers, and thank you all for chipping in!

Comment

whoooo thare dont give up yet..................

what format are the clips your working with ?

my suggestion is to take the clips and convert each one to .avi then open DeVeDE and give it the .avi's you can make a menu with click-able opening of the titel (titel1 titel2 ext. ext. )and have a backgrownd of 1 of the clips (no not a shot of eatch but hay) and a sound file.

it will make a DVD.iso you can burn or watch with VLC or whatever you have that will do a .iso

VINNY
                  i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                  16GB RAM
                  Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

on second thought if your clips are watchable in Mplayer,Kmplaer you can skip the converting as DeVeDe uses mencoder any way

I use it all the time and the menu looks good and the DVD's are vary watchable

hears one

[img width=400 height=300]http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c291/vinnywright/dvdmenu.png[/img]

8)

☢VINNY☢
                    16GB RAM

Comment

Vinny, long time no see my friend!

I have AVI's, I'll give a shot at Devede next time, thanks a bunch for the tip!

Comment

the only quirk that gets on my nerves is the estimated disk usage of the files you've loaded into it it reports lots higher than what is actually made .

I routinely run it up to 120%-135% of the disk and the resulting .iso is still under 4.7Gig

VINNY
                        16GB RAM

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright
                          I routinely run it up to 120%-135% of the disk and the resulting .iso is still under 4.7Gig
                          How could THAT be? Are you 1000% sure?
                          :P

Comment

I use Kino and it works pretty well. It also is able to take a DV connection from my Digital Video Camera and download the data through my firewire. If you use pulse audio there is a minor bug that has an interesting side effect, though. It makes playback be about 10x normal. To workaround this open kino with "padsp kino &". That causes pulse audio to emulate /dev/dsp and that makes it work. I use kino to create the initial video.

I then use todisk to create the dvd. "apt-get install tovid" to pick up the package. There are a number of sources of documentation and examples. It is a really nice program. I have noticed that there is a gui for it now but I have not tried it yet.

Openshot looks really nice and I have used it a little. Until they get the problem with saving the project fixed, though, it is of little value to me. There is something in how it uses a gtk theme under KDE that causes it to fail immediately when you save a project and then upon opening thereafter. I have yet to find a workaround. So every time in is like starting over from scratch. If you find your .osp file and delete it it will open again.

If you do get Opensot working and want the animated titles to work, you will need to install the beta blender programs. It will not work with blender 2.49. You must have 2.5 or higher. (sudo add-apt-repository ppa:cheleb/blender-svn). Once you have blender installed you will need to update a few xml files. On my 32 bit system they were installed in this dir: /usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/openshot/blender.
                            cd to the directory and then: sudo vi `grep -l CENTRAL *` you will need to change all CENTRAL to CENTER. (i.e. :0,$ s/CENTRAL/CENTER/g)

now... if I could only save my work.... if anyone finds a solution to that please let me know. Openshot looks very nice.

Comment

Hello all

I have need to simply concatenate two, possibly, three video files in order. I have converted them to .wav from mpeg4 because of file size only.

I can, of course convert them to .avi if necessary.

I did not originally plan to have to concatenate, but the GoPro camera produces suchy extremely high quality video that i am having to do it.

So to resurrect this thread.

i had, previously, used KDEnlive, as I mentioned in the blow post. However, there is a lot of enthusiasm for Openshot.

I'm going to probably have to do this once a week, (quite simply, the head of my department has me recording some of my classes, I use a modified form of the Socratic Method ( dialectic ) no....not di-electric !! lol , not lecture, in physical science) and wants the other people to try it, (their classes don't fill, sad to say, while mine max out all the time).....

So this is quite an unforseen use for my GoPro.

So...I would very muchly like to hear comments pro or con on the two, if there are "bugs" like the one mentioned for OpenShot, etc.

Yesss I could install both, etc. but since I'm "stuck" with an 80 gig hard drive, it is the frugal me.... I like to not install stuff that i don't strictly need.

so? Comments?

woodsmoke
                              Last edited by woodsmoke; Nov 13, 2013, 12:23 AM.
                              sigpic
                              Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Working...
                              X