X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problems whith video files.

Hi.
    I have installed the latest maverick version, but i have some problems with the playback of videos.
    If i go to dragonplayer or vlc or whatever system hangs if i try to play some avi or divx files, i mean every video files.

I just installed a fresh version of kubuntu the latest maverick. I also installed the multimedia files support which kubuntu suggested me, and i installed VLC too. But none of theme works. Every time i try to open a video file (no matter wich format!) the system hangs out. I have to reboot the machine. I only can hear the music of the video for a few secs. The mouse stays movable, but nothing other works, even ctrl alt f1 to swich to the textual terminal doesn't work.

where should i begin search the problem?

PS: i already have installed the restricted-extras packages!!

Thanks.

Re: Problems whith video files.

Something to try / Rule of Thumb

When you get a mysterious error/no start/no audio/no video with the gui, use the cli.
    With the cli you usually get a full error message and could do a net search with the error message.

If you start the VLC/MPlayer/Kaffeine/Whatever in the konsole there should be lot of information what is going on.

Every time i try to open a video file (no matter wich format!) the system hangs out...I only can hear the music of the video for a few secs. The mouse stays movable, but nothing other works, even ctrl alt f1 to swich to the textual terminal doesn't work....
    Do you see the desktop (wallpaper, panel, plasmoids, etc) ? Or is the plasma dying ? If the plasma is crashing you will see only the black or white/grey screen.

Here are few tricks how to probe the freezing system > Debugging system freezes

More of the Log files > LinuxLogFiles.

Is the xorg log file clean - without errors ?
    Konsole:
    Code:
    grep EE /var/log/Xorg.0.log
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

No errors in any log file. The system freezes. I can see the hole desktop but cannot interact with nothing. Only the mouse is moving. I cannot even change to a console with the ctrl alt f1 function. The system is completely frozen, and even waiting does nothing. The only way is to shut down brutaly the system by power button (5secs) and then restart it. But no errors are logged.

I installed the maverick versione with all standard drivers. Could it be that the standard drivers does not support the video card i have? I have an nvidia card from asus.

Comment

I don't have such a card but my take on it is that video performance is much better if you use the nvidia drivers. Install by kmenu/applications/system/additional drivers.

One other point, if your system freezes (or seems to but it's most likely only the xserver that has frozen) you can usually do a soft reboot by holding down the alt+sysrq keys and slowly typing reisub.

HTH

Comment

hmm, sorry but which is the sysrq key? I have an italian keyboard. Do you mean the ctrl key? Or the most known alt+ctrl+canc. If you mean that key combination, it doesn't work. I press that keys but nothing happenes. Not the hole xserver freezes as the mouse ponter can be moved, but no click has any effect. Even the right button doesnt work.

I now try to install the correct driver, as when i go on additional driver it suggests me to install the nvidia drivers. So when it has finished i will try to play a video file, and after that report any succ/unsucces.

Thanks for the vile. Be reporting soon.

Comment

Hmmmm now it seems to be solved. I activated a accellerated 3d nvidia driver and now the system doesn't hang out anymore.

So i think that was all. Thanks to all for now.

Comment

Glad you seem to have got it sorted.

Just to finish off - on a UK keyboard at any rate the sys req key is also the print screen key.

Comment

Hmmmm, now it seems to be halve solved. The driver i activated was suggested by the system. But i have some problems anymore.

When i start nvidia x server settings, the system hangs on again.

I already tried to install the nvidia drivers from nvidia website, but then the system dont come up again!

So any suggestions?

Comment

Working...
                X