This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] VLC looses sound after pause or scroll

Hey guys, I've run into some strange thing the vlc does.

Whenever I play a file in the vlc and pause, after resume I get no sound. It mutes! This happens when see a movie either from dvd or a file from disk, hear an mp3, ogg, audio cd. To all files that vlc supports and I have tested.

The same thing occurs when I scroll to a later or earlier point of the file. Not always after the first scroll, but usually after 3-4 scrolls.

This does not happen with other players, such as Dragon player. Just vlc.

Any ideas? Thnx in advance

Re: VLC looses sound after pause or scroll

Originally posted by zahtar
    Hey guys, I've run into some strange thing the vlc does.

Whenever I play a file in the vlc and pause, after resume I get no sound.
    The same thing. Sound returns only after rewind to start position.

Comment

What version?
      I am running VLC 1.0.6 GoldenEye and it pauses and starts video and sound just fine.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Thanks for your reply GreyGeek! My vlc version is 1.1.4.

This did not occur with the previous release, 10.04. I've had this after upgrading. Let me know what you think

Comment

1.0.6 is in the Lucid repository, which is what I have installed, not the version from Medibuntu.

A downgrade is sure worth the try, but I can make no guarantee that it will solve your pause problem.

VLC is my preferred video viewer because of its power. But, 1.0.6 is more difficult to use to stream or convert media than the previous release. I was really disappointed in the changes. They shouldn't have messed with perfect.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

So what do I do? remove the current VLC, install the older version and then deny any updates?

How do I access the Lucid repository? Do I add a line in the KpackageKit Settings tab?

thnx again

Comment

You can see several VLC versions in this Google search:
              http://www.google.com/search?q=vlc+d...r=&safe=images

Uninstall the version you have now, and download a previous version and use
              sudo dpkg -i packagename.deb
              to install it.

Make sure the version you download is for your architecture (32 or 64 bit)..

Comment

[SOLVED] Re: VLC looses sound after pause or scroll

thnx for your reply Greygeek

I managed to solve this, or at least work around it:

menu: Tools -> Preferences -> Audio -> output module
                The initial value was "Default" and I switched it to "ALSA audio output". No sound failures so far after pausing or scrolling.

I'll keep this bookmarked so I can take a look in your solution if mine turns out to be temporary.

until then, SOLVED

Comment

Originally posted by zahtar View Post
                  thnx for your reply Greygeek

I managed to solve this, or at least work around it:

menu: Tools -> Preferences -> Audio -> output module
                  The initial value was "Default" and I switched it to "ALSA audio output". No sound failures so far after pausing or scrolling.

I'll keep this bookmarked so I can take a look in your solution if mine turns out to be temporary.

until then, SOLVED
                  I Know it is an old thread, but this solved my exact same problems with Kubuntu 12.04!

Comment

Working...
                  X