This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

really slow...

I've upgraded to Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat from 10.04 on the 10th. I'm now a big fan of Kubuntu and am slowly syphoning all my files away from win7. Well done guys! Although I now think I should have waited awhile for the experts to sort out teething problems.

I've found that it is extremely slow sometimes, then speeds up again. Sometimes it hangs when I'm changing between desktops or between applications. Am I the only one experiencing this? I've got around this by choosing at the startup ubuntu, with Linux 2.6.32-25-generic instead of 2.6.35-22-generic. I presume though I'm missing out on the magic of 10.10.

Is there something that I'm doing wrong, or can fix myself, or should I be patient for the experts to sort this out?

Thanks!

Re: really slow...

I'm not sure about Kubuntu, but using Ubuntu Maverick compared to Lucid, it is much slower.

You need Lucid installed to do a comparison. Open Nautilus and just move one rather large file to another partition. Then do the same move using Lucid. You don't even need a timing device, its that obvious. I even dropped to telinit 3 to do comparisons, getting the same results.

I do have both Lucid and Maverick Kubuntu installed. I'll try using dolphin, but I expect the same results.

I'm sure it was some library upgrade that effects the slowness, as things are added to Nautilus moves now.
    Boot Info Script

Comment

About a third of the way down the release notes, under the title "Linux kernel 2.6.35", appears the following cryptic note:

"There will be a kernel update made available shortly after the release."

For this reason, I would advise holding off on any drastic measures that might be a result of some kernel issue, until after this kernel update.

Comment

Thanks, dibl, I'll hold off for a little while... there were a four updates the earlier today, but I'll hang on. I'm in no rush.

Funny when I first restarted 10.10, I noticed a remarkable increase in speed. So I'm eager for it to be sorted.

Comment

Working...
        X