This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

anuther old one.

Well I got this HP Pavilion zv6000 laptop fry. frome the pawn shop I wipe passwords for.

I was thar to strip the password from it and did but when we started checking it out......it started just shuting down for no reason........turns out it over heet's if ran with the power cord plughd in........on batery its fine.

the dvd drive dosent realey work so I instaled with my liveusb ..........runs great(exept for not being abel to run it pluged in)

hears the info

vi@Vi-Pavilion:~$ lspci
    00:00.0 Host bridge: ATI Technologies Inc RS480 Host Bridge
    00:01.0 PCI bridge: ATI Technologies Inc RS480 PCI Bridge
    00:04.0 PCI bridge: ATI Technologies Inc RS480 PCI Bridge
    00:13.0 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc IXP SB400 USB Host Controller
    00:13.1 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc IXP SB400 USB Host Controller
    00:13.2 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc IXP SB400 USB2 Host Controller
    00:14.0 SMBus: ATI Technologies Inc IXP SB400 SMBus Controller (rev 10)
    00:14.1 IDE interface: ATI Technologies Inc IXP SB400 IDE Controller
    00:14.3 ISA bridge: ATI Technologies Inc IXP SB400 PCI-ISA Bridge
    00:14.4 PCI bridge: ATI Technologies Inc IXP SB400 PCI-PCI Bridge
    00:14.5 Multimedia audio controller: ATI Technologies Inc IXP SB400 AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 01)
    00:14.6 Modem: ATI Technologies Inc SB400 AC'97 Modem Controller (rev 01)
    00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] HyperTransport Technology Configuration
    00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Address Map
    00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] DRAM Controller
    00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Miscellaneous Control
    01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon XPRESS 200M 5955 (PCIE)
    03:00.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Texas Instruments TSB43AB22/A IEEE-1394a-2000 Controller (PHY/Link)
    03:02.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 02)
    03:04.0 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCIxx21/x515 Cardbus Controller
    03:04.3 Mass storage controller: Texas Instruments PCIxx21 Integrated FlashMedia Controller
    03:04.4 SD Host controller: Texas Instruments PCI6411/6421/6611/6621/7411/7421/7611/7621 Secure Digital Controller
    03:06.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ (rev 10)
    vi@Vi-Pavilion:~$
    vi@Vi-Pavilion:~$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
    processor : 0
    vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
    cpu family : 15
    model : 47
    model name : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3200+
    stepping : 2
    cpu MHz : 1000.000
    cache size : 512 KB
    fdiv_bug : no
    hlt_bug : no
    f00f_bug : no
    coma_bug : no
    fpu : yes
    fpu_exception : yes
    cpuid level : 1
    wp : yes
    flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt lm 3dnowext 3dnow up pni lahf_lm
    bogomips : 1989.35
    clflush size : 64
    cache_alignment : 64
    address sizes : 40 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
    power management: ts fid vid ttp tm stc
    vi@Vi-Pavilion:~$ free
    total used free shared buffers cached
    Mem: 1024680 745264 279416 0 52112 363332
    -/+ buffers/cache: 329820 694860
    Swap: 2144672 0 2144672
    everything woks good FN keys volume buttons card reader's .........nice.

anuther box saved by linux 8)

☯VINNY☯
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Re: anuther old one.

AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3200+
    ...LOL!..That's old?

Writing this on a Pentium 3!
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
    "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright
      .......it started just shuting down for no reason........turns out it over heet's if ran with the power cord plughd in........on batery its fine.
      Is the fins on the CPU heat sink plugged with dust, or has the CPU fan stopped spinning?

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by arochester
        AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3200+
        ...LOL!..That's old?

Writing this on a Pentium 3!
        well oldish ............I have some P3's as well ............even a 150Mhz coppermine with a whopping 90Mib-RAM :P she dont do KDE though LOL

Originally posted by GreyGeek
        Originally posted by vinnywright
        .......it started just shuting down for no reason........turns out it over heet's if ran with the power cord plughd in........on batery its fine.
        Is the fins on the CPU heat sink plugged with dust, or has the CPU fan stopped spinning?
        no thare not as far as I can tell with a flashlight and careful external inspection ......I'm going to get a can of air and blow it out any way ........and I DL'd the man. for disassembly but it looks like a buger
        I'm thinking bad power cord or battery ( but it lasts about 2-3 houers )or power supply.........from what I can see of the inside by taking off the RAM cover and removing the HD and DVD drive it looks prity cleen.

☯VINNY☯

16GB RAM

Comment

When you say it "over heats" when running on the power cord ... is the CPU getting hot, or the mobo, or the battery? Can you plug it in but leave it off so that the battery can recharge?

Can you put a CPU temp plasmoid on the desktop and watch it.

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

When you say it "over heats" when running on the power cord ... is the CPU getting hot, or the mobo, or the battery?
            I THINK CPU 1-2 times it shutdown for a second I saw a line talking about "thermal shutdown CPU 80C bla bla" but just a flash of it.

once it starts shutting down it will even do it looking at the BIOS..............but onley wile pluged in.

Can you plug it in but leave it off so that the battery can recharge?
            yes ......from 10% battery on quit to full charge ..about 1 1/2-2 howers then about 3 howers of play time

Can you put a CPU temp plasmoid on the desktop and watch it.
            I did .....CPU stays at 85-112 F and the other 2 (I guess MOBO) about 115 f ...........I did get it to run for a longer wile on the power cord by setting power management to power save wile plugged in...........but it eventually shutdown anyway......(during dpkg configuring an update ) but we recovered from that

VINNY
            16GB RAM

Comment

The temps are fine on the CPU and mobo so I doubt if anything is wrong with them. The fact that it will run about 3.5 hrs on a fully charged battery suggests that nothing is wrong with the computer & battery circuitry.

"It" stays cool long enough to allow a recharge of the battery when the computer is not running, but turn the computer on AND charge the battery and "it" overheats and causes the computer, if it is on, to shut down. IF "it" is the AC adapter then even if it has a thermal relay which shuts itself down to protect itself that shouldn't shut down the computer, unless the batter is too low.

How long does the computer run if the battery is fully charged and the AC adapter is plugged in?

Comment

How long does the computer run if the battery is fully charged and the AC adapter is plugged in?
                that depends........if cold and your not doing much 10 min. or so ......but once it dose if you start it right back up .....1-3 min.

example : before I set power management to power save mode wile plugged in you would start the box (with AC plugged in) and the fan's would go full throttle and it would shut of in 1-3 min.

after setting power management to power save mode wile plugged in........it ran for 10+ min. fans slow and DL'd a 200 package upgrade.
                BUT as soon as it started to install and configure the packages (high CPU activity) it shutdown......battery still at 45%

on just battery it will run 3 hours with no problems even working hard............??

I would suspect Kubuntu pushing it to hard or not working with the fans right or somthing but after it starts acting up it will even do it in the BIOS looking at settings!!

VINNY
                16GB RAM

Comment

I would try using a different AC adapter. You can get one of these easily as just about every HP laptop uses the same adapter. You probably know someone who has a HP laptop and you could borrow the adapter just to see if that is the problem. You could also just check the output of the adapter with a multimeter to see if it is correct.

Comment

Make sure the other adapter has the same output voltage and output current settings as the one you are currently using.

Comment

My old lappy has gotten hot from time to time, too.

But ever since I stuck a couple of Coke bottle caps under the back end to allow for some more cooling under the case (or at least the back of the case), no more heating problems. Easier to type, too!!

Get an undercase cooler. It'll probably help.
                      The next brick house on the left
                      Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

The worst thing the industry ever did to laptops was to name them laptops. Many a laptop has been destroyed by people taking the name literally.

Comment

Working...
                        X