Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kubuntu 10.10 on a Toshiba NB 305... How? HEP ME! HEP ME!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu 10.10 on a Toshiba NB 305... How? HEP ME! HEP ME!

Okay friends and neighbors, I'm going out of my tiny little mind trying to track down what I need to know and do. So here's my story...

I just bought me a spiffy Toshiba NB 305 with Win7 Starter, a 250 gig hard drive and a gig of memory. I quickly upgraded to 2 gig of RAM.

I've chased stuff around here in the forums, and nothing I've seen really seems to fit... or at least spell it out for me.

Bottom line? I want it all. I want K10.10, I want to keep Win7 in its place (with GRUB), and I want everything to work. [grin]

Can someone point me to the definitive resource for this?

I have downloaded both the 10.04 Netbook Remix and the 10.10 CD, and tried turning a 2 gig flashdrive into a bootable device. Both have issues.

The 10.10 version just sits there after giving me:
    SYSLINUX 3.82 2009-06-09 EBIOS Copyright (C) 1994-2009 H. Peter Anvin et al

The 10.04 flavor gives me assorted errors all over the place. I've downloaded the CD several times and checksum'd them, but if I don't get an error while writing the setup to the flash drive, it get them while trying to boot.

This is a nice little machine, and I really want Kubuntu on it... any help/thoughts/recommendations/admonitions would be greatly appreciated... just what the hell do I need to do?

Thanks,

-jm

Re: Kubuntu 10.10 on a Toshiba NB 305... How? HEP ME! HEP ME!

how are you trying to make your liveUSB?

I would first try burning the .ISO to cd as a disk image at a slow speed before you try your hand at making a liveUSB.

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Vinny,

Sorry, I guess I DID leave that part out, didn't I?

I downloaded multiple copies of both 10.10 and the 10.04 netbook remix ISOs.

I MD5SUM'd them to make sure they were well-behaved files, mounted them in WIN7 with MagicDisk (as sort of virtual CDs), and used "usb-creator" from the CD to "burn" the image to a 2 gig flashdrive that'd been freshly formatted, and I tried using both the 'mounted' virtual drive and the ISO files.

See ya,

-jm

Comment

Oops, it was a 1 gig flashdrive, not a 2 gig.

-jm

Comment

I don't think 1Gig is large enough ....I have made them on 2 Gig sticks before currently I'm using a 4Gig

burn the .iso to cd and see how it behaves on you equipment .

and boot the cd live not wubi .

VINNY
          16GB RAM

Comment

Originally posted by joemirando
            Bottom line? I want it all. I want K10.10, I want to keep Win7 in its place (with GRUB), and I want everything to work. [grin]
            Hi Joe...

Well, in this case it is certainly possible. I'm dual booting 10.04 and Vista.

Whether everything works or not in Kubuntu, we'll just have to see.

However, from what I have heard, it would probably be best to avoid the netbook remix version and just stick with a straight copy of 10.04 or 10.10. I have used two documents to help me figure out how to get my system to dual boot, perhaps they can be of help to you: here and here. The former is a bit dated but it still gives pertinent advice.

To get kubuntu onto a USB flash drive, I've used UNetbootin with great success. From there, you should be able to install Kubuntu directly from the flash drive. Just download both the .ISO of the version of Kubuntu you wish to install and UNetbootin to the Windows Desktop. Disable any security software that is running in the background (turn it off) and then plug in your USB drive. Bring up UNetbootin and then click on the circle that is next to where it says "Diskimage," and make sure "ISO" is selected and then click on the box with the three dots and point it to the .ISO file of Kubuntu. Make sure the box "Show All Drives (Use with Care)" and "USB Drive" is checked/selected and the drive letter your flash drive and then click "OK." Hopefully, this will give you a usable copy of Kubuntu to boot from.

Here is another document I used in regards to setting up a USB drive.

Hope this helps...

Regards...
            Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ loves and cares about you most of all! http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/
            How do I know this personally? Please read here: https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...hn-8-12-36442/
            PLEASE LISTEN TO THIS PODCAST! You don't have to end up here: https://soulchoiceministries.org/pod...i-see-in-hell/

Comment

as @ardvark71 sead Unetbootin will do it ......but the startup disk creator will let you add a persistence file to the USB as well witch will let you use extra space on the USB for ......persistence ...that meaning if you modify anything or add apps they and your modifications will still be their after a reboot........that is not the case with a Unetbootin USB I don't think .

however you will nead at least a 2Gig stick and that is minumal........I'm using a 4Gig and want more space.

1 more point 10.10 has both the desktop UI and the netbook UI in it by default and 10.04 will to if you get it up to kde-4.5.3 and install the netbook UI ....it is switchable in system settings>workspace

VINNY

16GB RAM

Comment

Working...
              X