This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After many years KDE 4 is still not ready

I have repeatedly installed KDE 3.5 after upgrading since kubuntu stopped supporting same. Recently though, the KDE 4 fanatics have started to play hardball and *remove* KDE 3 rendering my system useless after a 'sudo apt-get upgrade' So I caved and installed KDE 4. What a disaster! No matter what you idiots think, KDE4 is not ready for prime time. For example: I don't like the huge-****ing-popup-tooltips at all -- with the sophisticated KDE 3 interface, I simply turned them off. With the convoluted, hidden KDE 4 paradigm, who knows if that is possible.

I have mostly toiled through the *ridiculously complicated, and f*d up interface* and gotten almost all the crap turned off. There are still some *huge* annoyances -- the huge tooltips are prime.

The NV drivers are still not ready either. Open office and the bluetooth icon are rendered *very* badly. I can't even tell what that bluetooth icon is. There are other strange behaviours in the xterm, firefox and konqueror.

I am amazed that, after so much development time, KDE 4 is still not ready. It is a pathetic replacement for KDE 3 and I am going to remove kubuntu from my system and install trinity.

ciao

Re: After many years KDE 4 is still not ready

bye!
    [me=claydoh]yawns and goes back to reality [/me]

0: KDE3 is NO LONGER SUPPORTED BY KDE
    1: turn tooltips off by right clicking on the task bar and looking at th settings (really convoluted and hidden, that one)
    2: nv has been replaced by nouveau
    3: how does apt-get remove KDE? it must be a packaging error on whomever packaged the KDE3 you are using

but seriously, honestly and truthfully, it no big deal if you don't like KDE4, use what you like. As you find it available to you, use KDE3. It's all good.

But moaning and groaning about KDE4 serves no purpose. Imagine if i want into a KDE3/Trinity forum (If one existed) and complained that KDE3 looked and acted so old and outdated and had crappy wireless interface, or something.

kde user since 1.4

Comment

I know how you feel and can certainly sympathise. However, typically people use KDE because they like it, and not because they don't. Perhaps this is a good time to try something else - it's not like KDE is essential. I personally use KDE 3.5, but must admit that I also have a fondness for Fluxbox. I generally chose what I feel like at the moment. That's the beauty of open source. You actually do have a choice.

Comment

I never got the hang or KDE 4 either. But I don't complain about it. I just don't use it. Ubuntu and Xubuntu (on my old laptop) work fine for me. And I use compiz to get all the desktop effects I need. You have options, pick the one that works best for you.

Comment

Some people fly a Cessna, some prefer an F16. Regardless, it's a poor pilot who blames his aircraft.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

That think that evolved from a very old saying "It's a poor craftsman who blames his tools" which is pertinent to this thread.

Comment

I know!
              I just updated it from the 18th to the 21st century!
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Well, I don't know. I read the original post with mild interest and noted only one thing that was worthy of consideration and that was that the poster didn't like the Bluetooth ICON, but made no comment about the application, which, to me, says a lot.

Most of the rest of the comments are "personal likes" also, such as not being able to "find anything in the complicated"..

Over the years I really have had to restrain myself, sometimes, from telling a student to "read the book" or "read the notes" but since they are students and learning I have...as I said restrained myself.

So....I might be excused if I comment....that with SO MUCH SELF PROCLAIMED experience(by the poster), from which there seems to have been little learning.... I might comment..... ummm that if one spends just a LITTLE more time than the amount of time it takes for the light from the monitor to get to the decoration between one's eyes, one can usually LEARN something....

At least if one spends the same amount of time it took to learn the ....ummmmm PREVIOUS versions....the previous, already learned versions of ANYthing are always "better and easier".....

Kind of like Kool-aid... I have noticed, over the years, that the Kool-aid drinker that has learned to master the intricacies of tearing open the package and pouring the powder in the water and then some sugar really does seem to have a LOT of problems with opening the plastic container's lid and pouring the combined sugar and Kool-aide into the water... it is SUCH a travail....learning something new... such a travail....

As to the nVidia driver, um yes....but, um no.... the user is presented with ...um......two drivers, one of which workes for some cards and the other workes for............I think OTHER....yes....OTHER cards as I remember..... I've slept since then.....and the drivers seem to work....now they may not work for one of the original 128 kb cards or the absolute latest card from the chop shop down the street but, for...........most.............people............. they seem to work just fine.....

and "ready" has to be pointed at "most" people....not the outlayers......or outliers....or landers...as it were..

The only thing that I, personally, have seen so far that might not be ready for the "average" user is the "unmount" of a usb device and bluetooth, which doesn't work for a lot of distros, depending on what is available "upstream"...Kubuntu is not the only one...

Just some comments, of little worth.

Please excuse me while I pass on the Kool-aide and get some coffee!

woodsmoke
                sigpic
                Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Originally posted by daguns
                  No matter what you idiots think
                  Hi...

Ouch.

I definitely understand your anger and frustration. I've been there many times with Linux, how well I know but that doesn't make those of us who like and choose KDE 4 the name you mentioned above. I personally feel 10.04 is the best version I have ever used to date and have had very little trouble with it since I've installed it. I think it really is a matter of preference. Anything that we attempt to create can be improved, that's why programs have version numbers.

I could be wrong but those who post here didn't write the code for KDE 4, you might want to relay your concerns to the developers of both KDE and Kubuntu.

Regards...
                  Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ loves and cares about you most of all! http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/
                  How do I know this personally? Please read here: https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...hn-8-12-36442/
                  PLEASE LISTEN TO THIS PODCAST! You don't have to end up here: https://soulchoiceministries.org/pod...i-see-in-hell/

Comment

The first time I saw KDE 4, it was (in my opinion and for my hardware platform) an unmitigated disaster. But I know my machine, and you can see it below, and so I stuck with 3.5 for another release cycle. Better, but not my cup of coffee.

Now I am happily using and loving and learning KDE 4. Yep, some applications are still problematic, but the devs are making great progress. I used to be a great fan of KDEPIM, until the Nepomuk/Akonadi biumvirate was more of a problem than it was worth -- for a lot of people. I know, I know, there were solutions and workarounds available. I've been watching the progress there. too; and raised a terrible ruckus over at the KDE Community forums. I see now that there seem to be more folks with problem-free installs of KDEPIM under 10.10, which means by 11.04 I might consider trying it and moving from Thunderbird/Lightning on my hardware platform.

The KOffice suite was another problem child for a while. When I installed 10.04, I was very pleasantly surprised at how well it had progressed. My test for this is to create a file in any one of KWord, OpenOffice, or MS Word and then passing around those products to see if there is any "drift" in the integrity of the document. KOffice is about to become my default office suite again.

The point is that as a Linux, community effort, Kubuntu - while by no means perfect - evolves, changes, falls down, gets back up, and improves! I've tried a whole gaggle of FOSS distributions from ReHat, to Mandrake, to PC-BSD, to Kubuntu. I've been with Kubuntu the longest now, and am loving it. I'm thankful to Canonical for the core and basic support, and to the community for making Kubuntu.

Stick around all you young complainers, it gets really good!!
                    The next brick house on the left
                    Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

You failed to say anything wrong with KDE4, you mentioned several things you like better in KDE3; but you failed to mention any actual issues with KDE4 itself

What the **** could complain to us do anyway, talk to the KDE devs, or better yet- find you fellow KDE4 haters and create a new DE based on KDE3.

About the NV drivers- tell Nvidia to release more specification to the MESA team; revers engineering without specs can only go so far
                      Registered Linux User 545823

Comment

The problem is, everything in the computer world is constantly moving and changing and that includes OS's.

I was dreading the KDE4 change and when I eventually tried it, I found it was even worse than I imagined.
                        I held on til debian Sid (which I was using at the time) finally adopted it then I moved to Gnome.

Several months ago I decided to give KDE4 another go and I am using it still.
                        It was a big change but I think they nailed it.
                        I was fiddling around with my old computer a few days ago which still had debian Sid with KDE3.5 and THAT showed me just what a big improvement 4 actually is.

It might not seem it at first, especially if you are set in your ways.

All computers in my house have now been moved over to KDE 4 now and although I am keeping tabs on gnome, I can't see myself going back to anything else.

It may SEEM over complicated but really it's whatever you want it to be.

Comment

Originally posted by daguns
                          I have repeatedly installed KDE 3.5 after upgrading since kubuntu stopped supporting same. Recently though, the KDE 4 fanatics have started to play hardball and *remove* KDE 3 rendering my system useless after a 'sudo apt-get upgrade' So I caved and installed KDE 4. What a disaster! No matter what you idiots think, KDE4 is not ready for prime time. For example: I don't like the #&%$ing-popup-tooltips at all -- with the sophisticated KDE 3 interface, I simply turned them off. With the convoluted, hidden KDE 4 paradigm, who knows if that is possible.

I have mostly toiled through the *ridiculously complicated, and f*d up interface* and gotten almost all the crap turned off. There are still some *huge* annoyances -- the huge tooltips are prime.

The NV drivers are still not ready either. Open office and the bluetooth icon are rendered *very* badly. I can't even tell what that bluetooth icon is. There are other strange behaviours in the xterm, firefox and konqueror.

I am amazed that, after so much development time, KDE 4 is still not ready. It is a pathetic replacement for KDE 3 and I am going to remove kubuntu from my system and install trinity.

ciao
                          Heh -- registered for 15 minutes, made his one whiny little post (in which he proves KDE4 is "not ready" by stating he doesn't like certain features), and disappeared back to Windows World. Kinda like a strange dog running down your street, stopping only to use the fire hydrant.

Comment

"Strang dog" indeed!

It reminds me of a dog experience that occurred when I was about five. A dog made a habit of peeing on the Juniper bush next to our front room window. My dad got tired of it and put some 1/4" grid screen on the ground and a piece in the bush. He connected the two grids to the sides of a 110 volt cord plugged into the wall socket. I stood there watching for the dog to come by and do "his thing". He did. He raised his leg and let go with a stream .... I'm not sure how high he fly into the air but he landed on the ground about 10' away and took off running and yelping. His run was a humping kind of run... very odd. Never saw him again. Looking back on it and knowing what 110V AC can do, I suspect that my dad was trying to kill the dog.

Now, if we put one grid under the name text box and another under the password textbox and plug the cord into the 5V bus, when someone tries to pee on our parade it will short their 5V line and shut down their PC...

Comment

Staying on topic ...

When I was really little, we used to have cows right up to the house, and electric fences in lots of places. I was no dude and knew all about them. However, when boys came to visit from the city, I couldn't resist daring them to pee on the fence. Hehe, I don't like to take advantage of people's ignorance any more, but some individuals do still raise the temptation.

Comment

Working...
                              X