This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrade from 4.10 to 10.10 a disaster

I upgraded Kubuntu from 4.10 to 10.00 on my Acer laptop, and I got the Netbook edition! No questions asked, no warning given. Somebody, somewhere made the decision for me that, after using the standard KDE desktop environment for several years, it is time for a change. So now I have a completely different user interface. Well, thank you very much.

The system went from bad to worse in many other respects too. Now suddenly when I log in I get a huge dialog box prompting for a valid user name and password on api.opendesktop.org. What is this? How do I get rid of it?

It is also impossible to log out: the machine switches to text mode, prints some lines of text (with the console in raw mode, determined from the missing carriage returns) and then hangs after printing "Checking battery state".

The upgrade process also reinstated the KDE network manager and got rid of the Gnome network manager I had switched to before the upgrade. The KDE network manager is useless for 3G networking via a Bluetooth phone.

Re: Upgrade from 4.10 to 10.10 a disaster

I did not know it was even possible to upgrade from 4.10 to 10.10. But I feel that when moving from a distro that old to the latest stable release a clean install would have been a better choice. I would recommend that you backup all of your documents, photos, etc and whatever you want to keep and perform a clean install. Normally when updating you would have all that in your home folder, which would also include the settings for your apps. But if it were me, I would abandon everything including your settings as most of them will not apply to the later versions of your favorite apps. Reinstall those apps after the install.

Comment

It's been 6 years, you can't upgrade seamlessly from one version to the one that's 12 versions higher, what you could do is preserve /home and reinstall.

Even that might cause some problems, KDE4 config might conflict with older KDE3.x, so backup your documents and simply remove (or rename) ~/.kde

Comment

Sorry, I meant I upgraded from 10.4 to 10.10.

Comment

I don't know in what age your living, but 3G networking works fine here on Kubuntu 10.10 via KDE Network Manager.
          Most important laptop specs (this is my main computer, with Kubuntu on it):<br /><br />4096MB RAM (DDR2)<br />500GB Hard Disk<br />ATI Mobility Radeon 4570HD Videocard with 512MB GDDR3 RAM, up to 2280MB VRAM<br />Intel® Core™ 2 Duo-processor T6600<br /><br />OS: Kubuntu 10.10

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus
            I don't know in what age your living, but 3G networking works fine here on Kubuntu 10.10 via KDE Network Manager.
            Please tell me more! How do you configure the thing? A first step would be to be able to select the "Mobile Broadband" tab in the KDE Network Manager dialog. It is grayed out on my machine.

Note that I said I want to use a phone as modem (via Bluetooth), not a built-in or USB 3G modem. Bluetooth isn't the problem, I have a working USB Bluetooth dongle on the laptop, which I use with a Bluetooth mouse.

Comment

Working...
            X