X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thinking of moving to Linux ?

Thinking of moving to Linux ?

Kubuntu 10.04 LTS ( the “stable” version) -experiences:

1.Install freezes half way through – persevered, restarted.
    2.Completed install – dialogue “click to restart” - freezes again.
    3.Reboot hangs
    4.Reboot again – successful. Shutdown fails. Force shutdown
    5.Reboot. Scanner not supported - long hassle – eventually reverted to old scanner- sort of working.
    6.Printer driver very poor output (popular basic samsung model).
    7.Long hassle – eventually, sort of working with manually installed driver.
    8.Hair all pulled out by now !
    9.I'll play an audio CD to relax – you've guessed – will not play 0 tracks reported.
    10.Kubuntu install CD in bin.
    11.I'm out
    Are you thinking of moving to Linux ? Well if you have endless hours of time available for “configuration” ,- if you want grey hair or no hair left, - give it a shot, otherwise get out now while you still can.

Re: Thinking of moving to Linux ?

I think you should be posting this in Soapbox since it appears that you aren't soliciting help. Rather, you have something to say and you want to say it loud and proud
    Home: Kubuntu 12.04-amd64; Intel i7-860 on Intel DH55PJ; Nvidia 9500GT; 6GB RAM
    Network Slave: Xubuntu 11.10-x86; Intel P4-Prescott on MSI; 2GB RAM; Nvidia FX5200
    Portable: Xubuntu 11.10-amd64; Asus EeePC 1015PEM

Comment

Sadly I feel the pain. >

I was able to get 3 flawless installs this last week (2 desktops and a laptop). My final install (another laptop) has given me so much hell it's crazy.

Sad fact is that I have posted on linux forums all over and nobody seems to offer advice. It's more than moderately frustrating when linux does work "out of the box".

Comment

Seeing that this was the OP first post I feel obliged to let him/her into a secret of kubuntuforums.net:

This is a community made up of a helpful bunch of people, some experts in some fields, some in others, who try to help each other while keeping a polite tone.

If you want to get help you are in the right place.

But just logging onto the forum and letting off steam with your first post is not very mature.

So, if you have a problem please ask and I am sure help is not far off. If you just want to insult people who spent a lot of time on this stuff you can bugger off. Simple as that.
        Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Best way to get Linux (and if you can't be bothered with the installation details and can't ask for help without ranting) is to buy a computer with Linux pre-installed. Problem solved.

Comment

Originally posted by ricomoss
            Sad fact is that I have posted on linux forums all over and nobody seems to offer advice.
            http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...4;sa=showPosts

Folks can click on the link to your posts and decide for themselves if you were neglected or not.

It's more than moderately frustrating when linux does work "out of the box".
            Sure is, and everyone who's installed Linux more than once has encountered a PC which is hostile to Linux. At least one mobo (Foxconn) installed a BIOS that was programmed to make the computer fail if it detected Linux.

Since most LiveCD Kubuntu installs are nearly automatic, requiring only keyboard, time zone, name, and password input from the user, it's pretty difficult to mess up an install if you give your entire HD to Kubuntu. IF you do disk partitioning then your mileage may vary depending on your computer knowledge. By virtue of Microsoft's illegal PC OEM strangle-hold, the PC OEMs pre-install Windows on most of their PC, so many folks who've nursed at Microsoft's teat haven't really come to grips with the installation process. They usually end up taking their machine to a computer shop and paying $$$ to get Windows viruses cleaned off and Windows running again. Microsoft depends on their users remaining ignorant of fundamental computer knowledge, so do PC OEMs and most computer repair shops. It's part of their revenue stream.

It is a sad fact of life that some distros do not install well on some hardware. The exact same thing can be said for Windows, and even when Windows comes preinstalled there are occasional hardware problems. This Sony VAIO VGN-FW140E came with VISTA preinstalled. The OS would lose the connection to the display panel every so often, especially when I needed to see the display. Very annoying. After I replaced VISTA with Linux the problem never occurred again.

Combine a user with little or no computer knowledge (not the same as "Windows knowledge") with a Linux distro that does not recognize the hardware on which the user is trying to install it and you have a recipe for a multitude of problems. We are aware of that. Kubuntuforums is here to help those people. The help given here is from people who donate their time and gladly share their knowledge free of cost. IF you were trying to fix a problem you were having with Windows you would be paying some computer shop or giving $60/hr to Microsoft via your CC, and there would be no guarantee that you would obtain satisfaction. Sometimes hardware is defective, even on new hardware.

But, after 12 years experience with Linux I do know of one thing for sure ... RANTS rarely bring results.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Kubuntu is great. However, if one is not committed to it through long time use or whatever, then there is no reason to not chose some other distro. I've had good experiences installing Kubuntu - and a couple of bad. In one troublesome situation I persevered. In another I just popped in an iso from another distro and bingo - everything worked. Kubuntu isn't "Linux" any more than a large selection of other distros. Sometimes it's just better to move on.

That said, if you want Kubuntu to work on that installation, then as a question.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
                Originally posted by ricomoss
                Sad fact is that I have posted on linux forums all over and nobody seems to offer advice.
                http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...4;sa=showPosts

Folks can click on the link to your posts and decide for themselves if you were neglected or not.
                More on unsuccessful installs and the above as it happens here - reply #3
                Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

I'll see that bad install and raise you mine!
                  "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                  – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by toad
                    More on unsuccessful installs and the above as it happens here - reply #3
                    Hmm, perhaps the Dell product is faulty. Why is it that the OS always gets blamed?

Comment

I really thought long and hard about posting on this. It may be that the original poster really is a sincere person who is attempting to try Linux or the person may be somebody trying to cause problems.

I will assume the former, that is, that the person really is frustrated.

I can't help because nothing was provided with which anybody at this forum can provide help.

So, I will instead offer the following advice to NEW people to Linux.

a) If you have a brand new computer with an oversized screen on a laptop or a desktop that does not have an easily recognizeable name on it(recognizeable to YOU) as opposed to something that the sales person says......."this is great"... then you will "probably" really need to go to probably two or three of the REALLY MAINstream Linuxes to be relatively sure that your install will work out of the box.

If you don't know what Linuxes these might be, you should, very simply, ask.

b) if you have a computer with names that you have "heard"...like Hewlett Packard, or Nvidia, or things that you have seen on advertisings on the t.v. then you can probably install any of maybe about half of the Linux distros and it will be ok.

But.....either way...............

The way to get help, is to very simply ask for it in a simple and straightforward manner, and also include as much information as you can about the hardware and the distro that you have tried to install.

woodsmoke
                      sigpic
                      Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Working...
                      X