Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Koffice compared using Kubuntu and another distro same machine.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Koffice compared using Kubuntu and another distro same machine.

I might, might, add to the commentary in this thread, and if anyone wants to comment please do so, it is not just "my thread" and I'm sure others can comment on Koffice under different distros.

The last few weeks I've gone to the trouble to work with Kwriter and Kspread on the same machine with different OSs.

Without naming the other OS, please accept that it is considered to be one of the "latest and greatest Ubu variants", but also not "bloated", in other words, it does not even have the Plasma Desktop.

So given that, there is a relatively simple index that I have discovered about how well the Koffice integrates into the distro.

That index is this: it is how often, and for how long, an open window "darkens" and flops to the "not responding" crash handler.

The main differentiation that I have seen is that KUbuntu has not, as yet, had the black screen of whatever except the very first time that I tried to print to a HP Laserjet 6P. It was a spreadsheet, and I had multiple pages flying from the printer because MM/Kubuntu(don't know which) had given as a default selection the 6P/MP variant and not the 6P.

Since then I have made two observations:

a) the other distro has, probably a "black screen" problem maybe in 1 of possibly ten document openings and working on the document/printing/saving to another format(OO). Kubuntu has not had a "black screen" yet.

b) Koffice(writer and spreadsheet) are NOTICEABLY faster in MM on exactly the same machine.

So..............SOMEbody has their ducks in a better row at Kubuntu, don't know particularly HOW, but it is noticeable!

good job developers!!

woodsmoke
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Re: Koffice compared using Kubuntu and another distro same machine.

Originally posted by woodsmoke
    I might, might, add to the commentary in this thread, and if anyone wants to comment please do so, it is not just "my thread" and I'm sure others can comment on Koffice under different distros.

The last few weeks I've gone to the trouble to work with Kwriter and Kspread on the same machine with different OSs.

Without naming the other OS, please accept that it is considered to be one of the "latest and greatest Ubu variants", but also not "bloated", in other words, it does not even have the Plasma Desktop.
    Well, the Latest and Greatest version of Ubuntu could be considered to be, well....... Ubuntu (Gnome Desktop)
    KDE is the only Desktop environment that provides Plasma, no matter what Distro it is. Other Desktops can run Compiz, which is another system that provides desktop effects like Plasma Desktop's Kwin does.

You CAN name it, no one will bash or anything as all of us either currently run more than 1 Distro, or have in the past (I did have 7 at one time, including windows and BeOS Back in Tha Day). I would guess Xububtu (XFCE - somewhat less bloated) or Lubuntu (LXDE - much lighter)

[quote]So given that, there is a relatively simple index that I have discovered about how well the Koffice integrates into the distro.

That index is this: it is how often, and for how long, an open window "darkens" and flops to the "not responding" crash handler.

The main differentiation that I have seen is that KUbuntu has not, as yet, had the black screen of whatever except the very first time that I tried to print to a HP Laserjet 6P. It was a spreadsheet, and I had multiple pages flying from the printer because MM/Kubuntu(don't know which) had given as a default selection the 6P/MP variant and not the 6P.

Since then I have made two observations:

a) the other distro has, probably a "black screen" problem maybe in 1 of possibly ten document openings and working on the document/printing/saving to another format(OO). Kubuntu has not had a "black screen" yet.

b) Koffice(writer and spreadsheet) are NOTICEABLY faster in MM on exactly the same machine.[/qoute]
    That can be attributed to the fact that Koffice uses KDE's libraries in order to run, while others (Gnome, etc) must load those libraries on top of the libraries it aready has loaded. So , depending on one's computer specs, the difference can be noticeable.

So..............SOMEbody has their ducks in a better row at Kubuntu, don't know particularly HOW, but it is noticeable!

good job developers!!

woodsmoke

Comment

KOffice works like a charm on Kubuntu since 9.10
      I'm currently running KOffice 2.3 bèta 4 and it's rock solid here on 10.10
      Most important laptop specs (this is my main computer, with Kubuntu on it):<br /><br />4096MB RAM (DDR2)<br />500GB Hard Disk<br />ATI Mobility Radeon 4570HD Videocard with 512MB GDDR3 RAM, up to 2280MB VRAM<br />Intel® Core™ 2 Duo-processor T6600<br /><br />OS: Kubuntu 10.10

Comment

In my short experience with Kubuntu, Koffice and the folder plasmoid provides a very efficient alternative to the compiz cube with OO or Koffice.

woodsmoke
        sigpic
        Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Working...
        X