This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help installing from USB-stick to computer with GRUB already installed

I need help installing Kubuntu from an USB stick. I started to install Gentoo on the computer, but I realized it was too much work. I have already installed GRUB (v. 0.97) into the MBR, partitioned and formatted the hard drive to ext4, but the kernel I built won't boot the computer.

So, I have copied the files from the Kubuntu 10.10 CD image to an USB-stick, toggled the bootable flag on, but when I try to boot directly from the USB-stick I just get BIOS error message. If I instead I boot from the computer's hard drive I can get to the GRUB menu, press 'c' to enter command line mode and then view the contents of the USB stick. But I have no idea how to go from there. This is what I have tried

Code:
    root (hd1,0)
    to get to the Kubuntu CD directory.

Then to load the kernel and initrd (which seem to be located in a directory called 'casper'):

Code:
    kernel /casper/vmlinuz
    Code:
    initrd /casper/initrd.lz
    Then I type
    Code:
    boot root=/dev/sdb1
    (sdb1 is the label of my Kubuntu USB-partition).

I then get into the intramfs command line. What should i do next? Help me out, please!

Re: Need help installing from USB-stick to computer with GRUB already installed

Maybe some help here, somewhere: http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3107512.0

Comment

Re: Need help installing from USB-stick to computer with GRUB already installed

Thanks. I used Unetbootin and it worked! 8)

Comment

Working...
      X