Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubuntu with "kubuntu-desktop" and Kubuntu, difference?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ubuntu with "kubuntu-desktop" and Kubuntu, difference?

I hope this is not a stupid question, but maybe somebody could explain to me the difference between:
    1.) Ubuntu (Gnome) 10.10 installed from the typical Ubuntu Desktop CD with an installation of package "kubuntu-desktop"
    and
    2.) Kubuntu, installed from Kubuntu normal installation CD

I like both Gnome and KDE, and like to switch occasionally between the two. I find that I can run a lot typically Gnome programs through KDE just fine, also, I can run several KDE programs just fine through my Gnome session since KDE runtime is installed.
    This is nothing new of course, in most linuxes you can install several desktops and switch any time.
    Also, for some reason, I found in the early going of version 10.04 that the Gnome-Ubuntu with its KDE runtime ran Kdenlive more stable than the same machine booted to a native Kubuntu installation.
    In other words, are Gnome-Ubuntu's packages "kubuntu-desktop" same KDE as in Kubuntu - and - are the non-desktop packages (kernels etc.) in Kubuntu same as in Ubuntu?
    Thank you,
    Hannu

Re: Ubuntu with "kubuntu-desktop" and Kubuntu, difference?

The only essential difference should be that ubuntu installation with kubuntu-desktop package (or kubuntu installation with ubuntu-desktop) has the ubuntu/gnome specific parts installed in addition to kubuntu/kde parts (so you generally have both gnome and kde apps for same tasks, for example).

Both use the same repositories, so the non-desktop parts are the same in both.

Comment

Working...
    X