This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Screen tinter?

I am using a program on my computer (windows xp) that completely changes the white background of the screen and text to a different colour to help eyestrain or people with dyslexia.

Screen Tinter Lite (the program im talking about): http://www.thomson-software-solution...en_tinter.html

is there anything like this for kubuntu?

Thanks very muchly!

Re: Screen tinter?

I know this is not exactly what you're looking for, but you can change the colour defaults in your settings. I've done that because I like things easy on the eyes. My backgrounds, fonts, text colour, etc are all chosen by me. There are also some default styles if you don't want to get too far into it.

I have also changed the fonts on web pages so they are more suitable for reading. There are font settings in most browsers but the W3 specs do also require user CSS, so you can go much further if you have the skill and time.

Anyway, a program like you are talking about would probably be much easier to use and very nice to have. I would have thought it was mandatory for accessibility, but I don't see it there.

PS: I see a couple of magnifiers in the repositories if that interests you.

Comment

Thank You very much for your help.

Becca

Comment

you can also check system settings -> desktop effects, there are several accessibility effects, such as an inverter and zoom options. some of those may help you more (naturally you need working desktop effects.)
        Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
        (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

If you actually want to tint the screen, you can do this with the xrandr command.

From the xrandr man page:

--gamma red:green:blue
          Set the specified floating point values as gamma correction on the crtc currently
          attached to this output. Note that you cannot get two different values for cloned
          outputs (i.e.: which share the same crtc) and that switching an output to another
          crtc doesn't change the crtc gamma corrections at all.
          It will take some experimenting to get this right. I am not sure, though, that this is what the screen-tint utility does. You may be better off going into the theme settings, and changing the background colors there.

SystemSettings > Application Appearance > Colors > Colors > View Background

You can pretty much change all the colors there, though figuring out which option changes which color can be a real ordeal.

You might also look at www.kde-look.org under "Color Schemes" for something that might work.

We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Working...
          X