X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 40GB SSD as system + 500GB Hdd as home

Originally posted by tanderson
    Maybe this article would add more to this ssd discussion.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/perlow/gee...and-linux/9190

I know, I know its zdnet, but not everyone there is Ed Bott.
    "Ditch the journal" -- I totally disagree with that advice for modern SSDs (it's reasonable for USB sticks and SDHC cards, however). The journal is what makes ext3/4 a superior filesystem, capable of surviving loss of power with minimal loss of data.

It is true that the default journalling (sychronizing metadata with actual data) rate of every 5 seconds generates a lot of writes to SSD media, which has a shorter lifetime than conventional hard disk drive media. To enjoy the benefits of journalling, while mitigating the "wear" of the default writing rate, simply use a "commit=xx" option in your /etc/fstab entry, and extend the interval between writes. One second equals "1", so I use "120" to get a sync every 2 minutes, 24 times less frequently than the default. You can pick your comfort level, trading off SSD life expectancy versus data security. Here's an example of the root filesystem installed on a SSD, also showing trim enabled:

Code:
    UUID=31c31df6-b090-43e9-8826-8513fd876370   /   ext4   defaults,noatime,errors=remount-ro,barrier=0,discard,commit=120 0 1

Comment

Working...
    X