X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Install resets video mode

Kubuntu 10.10 Desktop 64 Bit

Install boots up correctly, and first screen is display correctly. Select "Start Kubuntu", and system starts to read the CD, and screen clears momentarily, and then the screen displays "kubuntu" and a series of dots are displayed, sequentially changing from blue to white and the back to white and so on. About a minute or so later, the screen flickers several times and then goes black, and the monitor displays a self-generated error message saying "Out Of Scan Range 122.6KHz/112 Hz. The system appears to continue to read the CD, for another minute or so, and then all activity stops. I assume that it is now at the initial Install set up screen which the monitor is unable to display.

The monitor is a Sun Micro system Monitor, but it has no model number or other information on it. It was working fine with the old system (Unbuntu 8.04).

The CD is good. The check-sum calculated from the CD matches that provided in MD5SUMS on the download web site page.

I have tried adding various vga startup parameters to the boot line without success.

F4 does not offer a "Safe Graphics Mode" option on the first screen. I tried booting with noapci, acpi=off, nomodeset from the F6 menu. Same result.

Using nolapci goes staight to a black screen and the process hangs.

I tried the oem install - same result.

At a loss to know what to try next.

I think what puzzles me is why the install would try to change the video mode. It works fine initially. If it ain't broke, why fix it?

Thanks for your time.

Re: Install resets video mode

You've told us about the monitor, but not about the graphics card in the PC, which is far more likely to be the cause of your problem.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

My apologies for not including the graphics details. Pretty necessary information in this case.

The install is on an ASUS M2A-VM HDMI mother board, that provides Integrated Radeon X1250 Based Grahpics. The monitor is connected to the onBoard VGA output.

Comment

Thank you. That information will be helpful. Please monitor this thread for further suggestions/solutions, which will occur. Welcome to KFN.

Comment

Some additional information.

The 32 bit version behaves in the same way.

10.04 installs without a problem.

Comment

Reboot. From the Grub menu press 'e' to edit. Add vga=xxx (where xxx is the VGA code for the desired resolution) to the end of the kernel line:
            Code:
            VGA Resolution and Color Depth reference Chart:

Depth	800×600	1024×768	1152×864	1280×1024	1600×1200
            8 bit	vga=771	vga=773	 vga=353	 vga=775	 vga=796
            16 bit vga=788	vga=791	 vga=355	 vga=794	 vga=798
            24 bit vga=789	vga=792	      vga=795	 vga=799
            If this enables you to complete the boot process, and to successfully log in to the Desktop, then you can go to K > System > Additional Drivers and see if one is available to be installed for your video card.

Comment

Working...
            X