This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I install?

Hello, I currently have Ubuntu 10.04 LTS installed on my laptop and everything works fine. Last weekend I downloaded Kubuntu 10.10 simply because I liked the look of KDE 4.5.

I've been reading comments from you the users to decide if I should replace Ubuntu with Kubuntu, I'm just not sure. I have enough disk space on the HDD to install it side by side but as their both very similar I think it would be a waste to do that. The last time I duel booted was about 6 years ago with Win98 and Mandrake Linux 9.2 (I think).

What do you good people think?

Re: Should I install?

Ubuntu is Ubuntu with the Gnome desktop. Kubuntu is Ubuntu with the KDE desktop. So you see, you only need to install another desktop. (sudo apt-get install kdedesktop) But wait! I'm not a real desktop fan here, so you should wait for more expertise on how you best do that. Also, you should be able to switch between desktop systems. Oh, and welcome to the Kubuntu forums.

Comment

Re: Should I install?

Ole Juul is about right. The last time I checked, the "meta-package" that has all the Kubuntu packages is named "kubuntu-desktop", so that's the one you would need to install on Ubuntu. Then, when the login greeter pops up, you click on the little menu icon and choose which DE you want to boot into.

But, you're running Ubuntu 10.04, and you're asking about Kubuntu 10.10, right? Well, 10.04 is the LTS, so if security and stability are your primary concerns, then you'd be better off to
      Code:
      sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop
      on your Ubuntu 10.04 system.

If on the other hand you simply can't resist being the first one on your street with a KDE 4.5 desktop, then probably you should take your Kubuntu 10.10 Live CD and do a fresh new installation. There are a lot of complaints about various problems doing upgrades, and since you are starting with the "other" DE, probably the new installation would be the better way to end up with Kubuntu 10.10.

That's my two cents' worth.

Comment

Working...
      X