This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

trial packages while running from CD - "live"

Hi ! New user. Trying Kubuntu 10.10 "live". Not ready to install to HD yet, wish to "trial" things for awhile. Praytell, is it possible to 'install' applications, to a fille system in RAM (for the duration of the live session, that is) and how do I do that ?

Might also install tested apps to existing HD parts if needed, but then will need to be sure how to remove them before leaving the live session (or can they be auto-removed).

I'm not used to packet management systems, esp. in this case of using a live Linux. Comprehensive instructions would be appreciated.

TIA !

P.S. I have older installed Linuces (including SuSE 9.1)

Re: trial packages while running from CD - "live"

Install while running on the LiveCD? Yes. RAM is the consideration. How much physical RAM do you have in the PC?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
      Install while running on the LiveCD? Yes. RAM is the consideration. How much physical RAM do you have in the PC?
      Thanks for the answer! Right, I installed knode (why does Kubu live not offer a news reader preinstalled, I wonder). I suppose and you seem to confirm it's been installed to RAM, right ? That's good. Ah, phys RAM on this system is 1 Gig.

Nother thing (should I open a new thread for this?) : I have a Linux swap partition on the HD, I could activate it with advantage ("swapon"), except... how do I find the right partition designation when running this live Kubuntu ?
      The file manager, Dolphin, looks like it shows only data partitions, not swaps.

Comment

You could put the sytem on a bootable USB drive, when using Startup Disk Creator you get the option to include a persistent folder for the extra installed stuff.

Comment

Working...
        X