Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How solve plasma-desktop crashes after installing kde 4.6.2 in 10.10?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just after kde has been instaled 4.6.2 plasma-desktop crash in startup. Maybe microblogging is the guilty. Bug https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=270327

Re: How solve plasma-desktop crashes after installing kde 4.6.2 in 10.10?

Greetings,

While I do not have the same crash problem, I am using plasma and I am experience a problem I cannot seem to resolve.

When I booted this morning, somehow I inadvertently removed my Kickoff Application Launcher icon. I went into panel settings to see about getting it back. At first I figured the icon just got hidden somewhere and started moving my panel items around. Obviously this had no resolution.

In doing the above, after getting my icon back, I realized that all my panel items are sitting on the left end and there is no taskbar, or at least I cannot see one. I kicker to this is that my digital clock now occupies a space the same as the taskbar would have.

If only there was a "reset defaults" option, I could do that and then re-configure how my panel was set up to my liking.

Hmmm... I was just reading something in the Plasma manual and I believe I found a resolution. I'll get back to ya...

Rick

[edit]
    WOOHOO! I have my taskbar back! Thanks anyway! Now on to rearranging my panel the way I had it...
    [/edit]

Rick
    "Without rules, there would be chaos and with chaos, there would be no peace." - Me

Comment

Originally posted by rick001

When I booted this morning, somehow I inadvertently removed my Kickoff Application Launcher icon.
      Probably you previously neglected to "Lock Widgets". You need to keep the widgets locked, when you are not changing the desktop/panel configuration, to avoid such problems.

If only there was a "reset defaults" option, I could do that and then re-configure how my panel was set up to my liking.
      There is a "rough" way to go back to KDE defaults. If you exit the X GUI with Ctrl-Alt-F1, log in there, then shut down X with

Code:
      sudo service kdm stop
      then (assuming you are still at your /home/rick001 directory) issue

Code:
      rm -rf .kde
      now restart X with

Code:
      sudo service kdm start

You will now have the default Kubuntu KDE desktop, with no customizations at all.

Comment

Greetings Don,

Long time no be here! Don't need to be unless I run into a problem like yesterday.

Originally posted by dibl
        Originally posted by rick001

-[ snip ]-
        Probably you previously neglected to "Lock Widgets". You need to keep the widgets locked, when you are not changing the desktop/panel configuration, to avoid such problems.
        Yep, that was exactly what happened. I do believe I, at least I think I, locked them this time. Better double check to be sure.

-[ snip ]-
        There is a "rough" way to go back to KDE defaults. If you exit the X GUI with Ctrl-Alt-F1, log in there, then shut down X with

Code:
        sudo service kdm stop
        then (assuming you are still at your /home/rick001 directory) issue

Code:
        rm -rf .kde
        now restart X with

Code:
        sudo service kdm start

You will now have the default Kubuntu KDE desktop, with no customizations at all.
        Wellllll... That sure is a long drawn out process. Since I have this procedure quoted, if I should need to do this I can just go to my account here and look at this post.

I see that version 11.xx is out now. I'm still running the last one with LTS or whatever it is called. Long Term Support? I think it is v9.10 or something like that. Don't remember off hand.

My i7 is kicking now. New video card, GeForce GT-430, Win7 Pro 64 bit, 8 gigs of RAM...

And, from what I have been reading, this will probably be my last Windoze OS to ever reside on any of my PCs. Win8 is going to have a completely new file system not compatible with any other version of Windoze or Operating Systems. It's also going to be geared for mobile computing. Doesn't look like it will be good for desktop use.

" Microsoft wants us to "Imagine life without walls"...
        I say, "If there are no walls, who needs Windows?" "

I don't remember where I saw that, but it rings quite true. I remember when Microsoft made that statement. Sure goes to show just how illogical that statement was, huh?

Well, gotta go. Still doing some Perl programming. It's like a daily ritual for me.

Staying out of the rain in the Mid-West, U.S.A.

Rick

ADDENDUM: v10.04 is the last version of Kubuntu I have. And it is "LTS". Maybe I'll install the new version on my laptop. I only use it for "support purposes". If I am doing something on the desktop where I cannot access the Internet at the same time, I fire up the laptop. Sounds like a plan...
        "Without rules, there would be chaos and with chaos, there would be no peace." - Me

Comment

Working...
        X