This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rookie Needs Help

i am running windows 7 home premium on a acer aspire laptop , intel hd graphics. i downloaded and burned kubuntu 10.10 MM iso. i ran it live on cd and it worked fine so i proceeded to install it. the install went fine and said it was done and ejected disc. when i rebooted it came up with blue screen that says kubuntu with little white dots under it like its loading then went into a text based login. i restarted comp. and now everytime it goes through several pages of stuff loading and takes me back to text login , no graphics at all. i enter username and pw and couple lines of stuff popup and it sits there at myname@kubuntu$~ something like that. ive tried a couple things with no luck. startx and startkde take me to a black screen , no mouse cursor or anything. im new to kubuntu and linux and dont know much about them but i am comp. literate. i understand comp lingo and have a pretty good knowledge of computers. if i run it live off the cd it brings up the desktop just fine. i have tried sudo apt-get install kubuntu desktop , sudo add-apt-repository ppa:glasen/intel-driver , and a couple more that i have found in forums on here but no luck i still cant get the desktop up. i really want kubuntu on my sysetem alongside windows so if someone could help me i would appreciate it so much ! i have been trying to get it working for 2 weeks and im not giving up lol. please help me !

Re: Rookie Needs Help

Sounds like plasma's crashing.

At the black screen hit Alt-F2 and type in

plasma-desktop

and see if plasma starts.

cheers -
    we see things not as they are, but as we are.
    -- anais nin

Comment

tried alt + f2 and typing plasma-desktop and nothing happened. when its at that black screen the hd light and the wifi light both light up randomly

Comment

Not much help but check out this thread -

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1743301
        we see things not as they are, but as we are.
        -- anais nin

Comment

thanks for all the help you all , i got it working and got some kind of error about setuid session or something that totally locked up my system and had to force shutdown so i uninstalled 10.10 and downloaded 11.04 , it installed quick and smooth and i am writing this right now on rekonq on natty narwhal. kudos to 11.04 i love natty narwhal ....lol.... been trying to get kubuntu on my system alongside windows for almost 3 weeks and got it done in 1 hour with 11.04 ...great job kubuntu creators thanks for making my life easier. lol. thanks for the help you all

Comment

Working...
          X