This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

switch to wubi?

It looks like I need to do a "WIn7 disk recovery" operation under Win7 on my 2-hard-drive laptop (dv7t-4000). 10.10 is on the second drive, W7 (and GRUB) on the first. It's OpenSuSE's version of GRUB that's got control (the Kubuntu boots from its own partition - they call that "chainloading?"). Anyway, after I restore the first hard drive, Win7 won't know about Kubuntu (on HD2) and Win7 will be the primary bootloader.

Then, I think maybe Wubi might be the way to go - does anyone know of a trick to get Wubi to install just the needed stuff (bootloading) rather than the entire 10.10 OS (it's already all there and set-up and ready to be chainloaded)? Failing that, can Wubi be used to update 10.10 to 11.04 when it comes out (I can wait until then), leaving my data intact?

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Patti

Re: switch to wubi?

Originally posted by PattiMichelle
    It looks like I need to do a "WIn7 disk recovery" operation under Win7 on my 2-hard-drive laptop (dv7t-4000). 10.10 is on the second drive, W7 (and GRUB) on the first. It's OpenSuSE's version of GRUB that's got control (the Kubuntu boots from its own partition - they call that "chainloading?"). Anyway, after I restore the first hard drive, Win7 won't know about Kubuntu (on HD2) and Win7 will be the primary bootloader.

Then, I think maybe Wubi might be the way to go - does anyone know of a trick to get Wubi to install just the needed stuff (bootloading) rather than the entire 10.10 OS (it's already all there and set-up and ready to be chainloaded)? Failing that, can Wubi be used to update 10.10 to 11.04 when it comes out (I can wait until then), leaving my data intact?

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Patti
    wubi is seldom the way to go

Is the current Kubuntu install a native install or was it installed under wubi? wubi doesn't use a real filesystem - it uses a virtual filesystem housed within a single file and would have to be repaired within wubi.

If it's a native install I think the easiest way to fix it is to go ahead and install 11.04 (at this point it's stable enough for primetime) but *insure* you partition manually and put grub on the first Linux partition on the second hard disk instead of on the MBR..

Then, go ahead and run the W7 restore, which will break your ability to boot into Linux.

Next, from within Windows install and run EasyBCD from http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1

This will pull everything back together and put the native Linux distribution on your Windows boot menu.

Or - you could just boot from a live CD, mount the Linux partition, install grub on it and then use EasyBCD to pick up the Linux installation and add it to your Windows bootloader.
    we see things not as they are, but as we are.
    -- anais nin

Comment

wubi is seldom the way to go
      LOL
      Is the current Kubuntu install a native install or was it installed under wubi? wubi doesn't use a real filesystem - it uses a virtual filesystem housed within a single file and would have to be repaired within wubi.
      Wow, you said that with very few words! Well said. I thought that was what it was looking like, but it didn't seem to actually come out and say that on the wubi web page. It's a native install and it chainloads through Grub, which is OpenSuSE11.4's controller and I'm familiar with how it operates. The trouble is that I think Grub borks Win7. I *know* it borks Win7 hibernate, but I think it may be behind why my Win7 will inexplicably halt, even when totally idle. I think Win7 doesn't like it's partitions messed with?

If it's a native install I think the easiest way to fix it is to go ahead and install 11.04 (at this point it's stable enough for primetime) but *insure* you partition manually and put grub on the first Linux partition on the second hard disk instead of on the MBR..
      Meaning the root partition? I thought there were several options re: partitions and I'm apt to get confused... I know to avoid the MBR for chainloading. I don't *think* I have a separate boot partition - time to fire up gparted... OK, I guess 10.10 is all in one partition (not a separate /home partition) so I must have set Grub2 there. Don't know how to "finesse" Grub2.

Then, go ahead and run the W7 restore, which will break your ability to boot into Linux.

Next, from within Windows install and run EasyBCD from http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1

This will pull everything back together and put the native Linux distribution on your Windows boot menu.

Or - you could just boot from a live CD, mount the Linux partition, install grub on it and then use EasyBCD to pick up the Linux installation and add it to your Windows bootloader.
      OK, EasyBCD it is, then! Thanks. Hopefully it works as well with Win7 as it did with Vista. It didn't seem to break Vista in any way.

Comment

Originally posted by PattiMichelle
        Meaning the root partition? I thought there were several options re: partitions and I'm apt to get confused... I know to avoid the MBR for chainloading. I don't *think* I have a separate boot partition - time to fire up gparted... OK, I guess 10.10 is all in one partition (not a separate /home partition) so I must have set Grub2 there. Don't know how to "finesse" Grub2.
        If you want to chainload grub then grub needs to be on the first linux partition - which in your case is on your second hard drive right now. The easiest way to finesse this would be to back up your home directory and just run the 11.04 installer - when you go into manual partitioning there's an option at the bottom of the page where you tell the installer where to put grub - you want to put it on the same partition as the Linux installation on your second hard disk, *not* on the MBR.

I personally prefer to use a Windows bootloader on dual boot machines - it's a little more work to set up but after you do it once reinstalling Windows won't trash your Linux installation
        -- anais nin

Comment

Hi Wiz!

I just thought I'd let you know that you helped me a lot. Last night I reinstalled W7, then used EasyBCD to locate my Kubuntu install. Thank you very much! So now I can easily switch between. I don't think I found my OpenSuSE install - but that was GRUBbed to the MBR. I have to figure out how to reinstall the bootloader but to the root partition of OpenSuSE - then it should be just as easy.

Have a great week!
          pattiMichelle

Comment

You're more than welcome

I'm one of the few who prefers using a Windows bootloader on dual boot machines - as it allows you to reinstall either OS without disturbing the other. All you gotta do is remember where to put grub next time you install

cheers -
            -- anais nin

Comment

Working...
            X